Line to neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... And IMO this is just another case of dumbing down the code for the unqualified.
Perhaps...

...but I believe a conductor connected to a source's neutral terminal was called a neutral long before the Code decided to call it a grounded conductor. Besides, the name refers to the conductor's source terminal point rather than its function in the circuit. As such, in a two-wire circuit, it is referred to as the neutral. It's just that simple and there is nothing dumb about it.

Numerous electrical equipment will have power connection terminals marked L and N. So are you saying this is wrong [or dumb] too...???

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Perhaps...

...but I believe a conductor connected to a source's neutral terminal was called a neutral long before the Code decided to call it a grounded conductor.
Prove it

Besides, the name refers to the conductor's source terminal point rather than its function in the circuit.
Then it should called "a conductor connected to the neutral point".

As such, in a two-wire circuit, it is referred to as the neutral.
Slang is not usually accurate words

iIt's just that simple and there is nothing dumb about it.
I will give you the simple part but, simple often accompanies dumb.

Numerous electrical equipment will have power connection terminals marked L and N. So are you saying this is wrong [or dumb] too...???
No, that just means neutral in color, as in white or natural gray, this goes back a long ways too.:roll:

Some are also marked XYZ but, in your example it probably means it must be used with a MWBC. ;)

So in summary, if it helps you to identify the conductor by calling it a neutral, I am very happy that someone saw fit to dumb down the code.:D

Roger

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Prove it

Then it should called "a conductor connected to the neutral point".

Slang is not usually accurate words

I will give you the simple part but, simple often accompanies dumb.

No, that just means neutral in color, as in white or natural gray, this goes back a long ways too.:roll:

Some are also marked XYZ but, in your example it probably means it must be used with a MWBC. ;)

So in summary, if it helps you to identify the conductor by calling it a neutral, I am very happy that someone saw fit to dumb down the code.:D

Roger
Roger,

I respect your opinion... but I give it no more weight than that.

Neutral in color is not the same as natural in color. If it were neutral in color, it'd be medium gray or a pastel tint of other colors. A light blue is considered neutral in color. Natural in color refers to compounds without color additives. Take PVC for example. Its natural color?sometimes referred to as its raw color?is off white to various levels of transparency including clear, in general, as there are many different formulations.

Following your remark that simple often accompanies dumb, you might say the wheel was a dumb idea. ;)

I take consolation I am among a multitude of practitioners in this regard... making no difference to me whether you call it dumb, slang, inaccurate, or otherwise. :D:D:D

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Roger,

I respect your opinion... but I give it no more weight than that.

Neutral in color is not the same as natural in color. If it were neutral in color, it'd be medium gray or a pastel tint of other colors. A light blue is considered neutral in color. Natural in color refers to compounds without color additives. Take PVC for example. Its natural color—sometimes referred to as its raw color—is off white to various levels of transparency including clear, in general, as there are many different formulations.

Following your remark that simple often accompanies dumb, you might say the wheel was a dumb idea. ;)

I take consolation I am among a multitude of practitioners in this regard... making no difference to me whether you call it dumb, slang, inaccurate, or otherwise. :D:D:D

And with all that said, Smart$, I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas.

And Merry Christmas to all. :)

Roger

fredneck

I need to know

Is there a change in the 2008 NEC, about multi-wired branch circuits shairing the same neuteral conductor?
Do all three phases have to be simatemisly turn off by the circuit breaker if powering dedicated receptacle?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Fred, welcome to the forum! :)

Do all three phases have to be simatemisly turn off by the circuit breaker if powering dedicated receptacle?
No matter what, in the '08. If they share the neutral, simultaneous manual operation is required.

raider1

Staff member
I need to know

Is there a change in the 2008 NEC, about multi-wired branch circuits shairing the same neuteral conductor?

Welcome to the forum.:)

Yes, 210.4(B) requires that multiwire branch circuits be provided with a means to simultaneously disconnect all ungrounded conductors at the point where the branch circuit originates.

This can be done with either an identified handle tie or a common trip breaker.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.