residential home estimating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Article 90.1

... and what about when a code cycle change comes along, like 2005-2008 requiring TR receptacles and increased AFCI usage. In theory you would need to raise your SF pricing to maintain what is referred to as "Code Minimum." Code Minimum is an oxymoron if you think about it. What you are telling the GC is, "I can do the work you want at $x/SF, but it is going to be to a minimum standard. We Americans don't buy that way, "bigger is better," right?

... and what about when copper prices double, how do you remain competitive against other SF pricers? Once a GC gets a number int heir head, they will only think you are cheating them if you try to go higher.

Electrical systems are not laid out by area or linear dimensions, say like drywall or fencing. Well I can see arriving at a LF price for conduit, but I digress.

... and what about when you get to the house there are 12' ceilings, all outlets are in the baseboard, etc.

Bottom line: SF pricing is for people who only want a job, not a career. "Give a man a job and he can eat for a day, give a man a career and he can eat for a lifetime."

The Square Foot mentality just pisses me off!!! Can you tell?

ceb58

Bottom line: SF pricing is for people who only want a job, not a career.

The Square Foot mentality just pisses me off!!! Can you tell?

It's all about knowing how to play the game. A GC doesn't care how many recp. are in the house all he wants is a price. I have keep up with the numbers and I can price it by the sq.ft code min. BUT as every one else the extras are by the unit. And by extras I mean extra recp., cans, fans, extra 3 ways, under cabinet lighting ect.... Now with that said I dont and wont do track housing you just cannot do many up-sells and the contractors,as said, have no loyalty. The last house I did was a custom. The base price beat out at $11,200.00 but the HO knew the extras they wanted and when it was over the bill was over $21,000.00. He got a quality install with every thing they wanted and was happy and I made money. And it's been that way on every one I have done.

TobyD

ceb58,
That's what I do on pricing as well.But, often times I'll ask the owner just what the other guy bid on.Sometimes I get the job because the owner doesn't want to be liable for anything on the electrical install.Such as furnishing can and etc..I keep stock and I let it be known that I can have it on the job before they can go and purchase it.I tell them that way they don't loose time off work and such.They tend to like being lazy .LOL.Seriously I always try and make a lists for the owner or GC so they can have what's required by them so we can get in and out of the job.

ceb58

ceb58,
That's what I do on pricing as well.But, often times I'll ask the owner just what the other guy bid on.Sometimes I get the job because the owner doesn't want to be liable for anything on the electrical install.Such as furnishing can and etc..I keep stock and I let it be known that I can have it on the job before they can go and purchase it.I tell them that way they don't loose time off work and such.They tend to like being lazy .LOL.Seriously I always try and make a lists for the owner or GC so they can have what's required by them so we can get in and out of the job.

I dont let them supply things like cans because.... They will buy cheap junk and it throws my mark up out of the window. The only thing I will not furnish is fixtures, ceiling fans, vent fans, doorbells and smokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.