Bought a laser level at the supply house. Got any good uses for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

My dad gave me a cheap Craftsman laser level a few years back. He bought one for himself and said he threw it away. Maybe I should finally do the same. :grin:

nunu161

ive used them a lot in commercial and industrial work when laying out pipe runs that have to go thru a floor or ceiling. stick it to the pipe get on your lift with the connectors mark the ceiling and go to town with your drill :)

mivey

I've been pondering a rotary but I'm not sure how accurate I need to be from a practical standpoint: 1/8" in 100', 1/8" in 50', 1/4" in 50' etc.

I have used a line level but am not really sure how accurate that is. I also have a cheap self-leveling cross-line device that I use in small rooms, but it can be a pain.

I really want a rotary but can't decide on the accuracy. I'm am pretty sure I want self-leveling. Any advice from those that have them? I'm not really sure how accurate I have been in the past using bubble levels.

I would not mind spending $300-400 for a rotary. If the accuracy were an issue, I might even spend twice as much but I don't want to buy wasted accuracy. For really long distances, following the building contour usually becomes the norm.

480sparky

I use rotaries only for producing straight lines. I mark both ends, and line the laser up on both of them. Perfectly straight line in between. Case in point:
School_Building.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I use rotaries only for producing straight lines. I mark both ends, and line the laser up on both of them. Perfectly straight line in between. Case in point:
School_Building.jpg
Nice job even if that's just about the worst lighting someone could put up there. :roll:

iwire

Staff member
I've been pondering a rotary but I'm not sure how accurate I need to be from a practical standpoint: 1/8" in 100', 1/8" in 50', 1/4" in 50' etc.

I have used rotary lasers often. The accuracy has not been an issue even in large buildings.

Jo-Anns.jpg

Above is a job I ran, 500+ stripes hung from cable at a 45 degree angle from the building. I used the laser on it's side on the ground to lay out the angle and place the hangers. Than we hung the laser on a column 2" above the top of the fixtures to make sure they where level even though the deck they hung from was pitched.

(BTW, that is Peter D on the lift :) )

Last edited:

Bob Kraemer

I'm thinking on buying a "Pacific Laser Systems 180", would that unit accomplish the same thing as a rotary laser like Bob used to lay out the lights in the store?
I am working on a project that will require drilling the perlins to hang the fixtures from aircraft cable, instead of stretching out a string, I thought the PLS 180 might work.
Can't afford a rotary laser @ the moment.
Comments or suggestions appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.