How do you load up a panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

I don’t know if it’s been asked before, how does one place the loads (via the breakers) on the panel?

Does it even matter? I realize it is not a NEC thing. Is the default 110.3?

The reasons I ask is that I came across an older SQ D Panel where all the breakers where on one side that were on the right? I’ve never seen this.

This was odd but all were 2 pole breakers, there was one 60 amp breaker which was to a sub panel, but it was in the middle between two other above where 2- 20 poles and below a 2-30 poles.

I realize the panels rated for the load, I just wondering? Thanks in advance.

I don?t know if it?s been asked before, how does one place the loads (via the breakers) on the panel?

Does it even matter? I realize it is not a NEC thing. Is the default 110.3?

The reasons I ask is that I came across an older SQ D Panel where all the breakers where on one side that were on the right? I?ve never seen this.

This was odd but all were 2 pole breakers, there was one 60 amp breaker which was to a sub panel, but it was in the middle between two other above where 2- 20 poles and below a 2-30 poles.

I realize the panels rated for the load, I just wondering? Thanks in advance.

You would want to load a panel to where the phases are evenly balanced as much as possible. For example, if you 40 amps on phase 'A' then you would want '40' amps on phase 'B' and 'C' . Or as close as you could get to 40 amps. ;)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've seen residential panels with all of the CB's on one side. It doesn't really matter if you put them all on top, all on the bottom or all on one side as long as, like brother said, you try to get them balanced.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I realize it is not a NEC thing. Is the default 110.3?

The NEC does touch on the matter. Why only for MWBC's is interesting.

210.11(B) Load Evenly Proportioned Among Branch Circuits. Where the load is calculated on the basis of volt-amperes per square meter or per square foot, the wiring system up to and including the branch-circuit panelboard(s) shall be provided to serve not less than the calculated load. This load shall be evenly proportioned among multioutlet branch circuits within the panelboard(s). Branch-circuit overcurrent devices and circuits shall be required to be installed only to serve the connected load.

cadpoint

Ok, I'll admit I forgot about balancing the load to the poles! Which is a code requirement.

This was a house resid. panel 240/120.

MWBC, last I thought was considered a single conductor! (I'm probably saying it wrong!).
I understand what your quoting, thanks

Thanks for all the reminders and insights!

Happy Monday!

Last edited:

cschmid

Interesting when I did residential I did by location and size..I started with all the 2 pole breakers on top and then I did it by location second floor and worked from one end to the other.

480sparky

I've heard of that too but never saw any real reason to do it that way. Do you have one?

How about two?

1.Heat.

I figure the larger (ie, higher-amp) breakers produce more heat. By putting them at the top, the heat is dissapated into the air space at the top instead of transfered to a smaller (lower-amp) breaker above it.

2.The other reason is money.

Usually, I feed circuit into the top of the panel. This keeps the big wires (6 and up) as short as possible.

Jim W in Tampa

How about two?

1.Heat.

I figure the larger (ie, higher-amp) breakers produce more heat. By putting them at the top, the heat is dissapated into the air space at the top instead of transfered to a smaller (lower-amp) breaker above it.

2.The other reason is money.

Usually, I feed circuit into the top of the panel. This keeps the big wires (6 and up) as short as possible.

That is how i did it too, and with an added reason. If you keep the high amp breakers near the top then most of the bus bar under them will not carry much current. Not sure if that helped enough to care but never had any problems.

Jim W in Tampa

One can justify the reward for the effort of balancing the loads in commercial. The loads are known; most of them anyway.
In a house it's a guessing game. Big breakers on top can't hurt so I do it. The rest I make up as I go.
Actually it is not that hard to try to balance residential. 2 SA = 1 ON A and 1 on B
half of gen lighting on each side. Put micro on 1 and frig on other. Very often the neutral on a typical house will be under 20 amps. But in reality if you put all singles on 1 side nothing bad should happen

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I put the largest (amp) breakers at the top and work my way down to the 15s at the bottom.
I do, too, with the addition that I also try to stack 2p's one one side and 1p's on the other, which minimizes the likelihood of placing two large breakers head-to-head on the same stabs.

I've heard of that too but never saw any real reason to do it that way. Do you have one?
I prefer the largest circuits nearest the supplied end of the buses, usually up, for the least amount of bus in the current pathway. It also plain ol' looks better.

Status
Not open for further replies.