Legal or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclary's electrical

Unfinished basement being finished into bedrooms. The bell xfrmr was on top of a keyless. We removed ceiling box and putting in recessed cans. Would you consider the xfmr accessible mounted on top of the can junction box, through 1/2" ko? Would you be able to change the xfmr and terminate those wires, through the 6" hole in the future?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You could post the location in the panel.

Roger
You could if someone were to think to look there. If it were a newer home I would not think about going to the panel. On an older home where the tranys were often installed inside or on the panels there would be a chance to find it.

Anyway I believe we are all saying it is code compliant. If I had to do it I would probably do the same.:)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You could if someone were to think to look there.

Are you saying you would be working on the circuit live?

Odds are that a service man would most likely visit the panel at some time during a service call don't you think? :roll:

Roger

mcclary's electrical

You could if someone were to think to look there. If it were a newer home I would not think about going to the panel. On an older home where the tranys were often installed inside or on the panels there would be a chance to find it.

Anyway I believe we are all saying it is code compliant. If I had to do it I would probably do the same.:)

It would be fairly easy to rework the LV wire, I was just curious of how others would do it. I agree with you

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Are you saying you would be working on the circuit live?

Odds are that a service man would most likely visit the panel at some time during a service call don't you think? :roll:

Roger
Roger I would be physically looking for the trany so there would be no reason to kill the circuit. How would I know if the circuit was off anyway unless I killed the entire home.

I am assuming I would be looking for the trany because the system isn't working-- possible bad trany.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Obviously, the doorbell won't work with the lights off unless you run a hot feed to it, so you'd only be using the J-box as, well, a J-box.

I would extend the bell wiring and relocate the transformer to an unfinished area, or at least on a box or a box cover in a nearby closet.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Roger I would be physically looking for the trany so there would be no reason to kill the circuit. How would I know if the circuit was off anyway unless I killed the entire home.

I am assuming I would be looking for the trany because the system isn't working-- possible bad trany.
You're mising the point Dennis and maybe you do service calls differently than I would, I always locate and look at the panel even if I do not turn anything off.

In your case I guess it would be better to put a label on the front door. :roll:

Roger

mcclary's electrical

You're mising the point Dennis and maybe you do service calls differently than I would, I always locate and look at the panel even if I do not turn anything off.

In your case I guess it would be better to put a label on the front door. :roll:

Roger

:grin::grin:

mcclary's electrical

Obviously, the doorbell won't work with the lights off unless you run a hot feed to it, so you'd only be using the J-box as, well, a J-box.

I would extend the bell wiring and relocate the transformer to an unfinished area, or at least on a box or a box cover in a nearby closet.

The light box was fed with a 14/3. One leg was hot all the time. The light did not affect the function of the bell

rodneee

daniel webster....rolling in his grave

daniel webster....rolling in his grave

i would say you are stretching the definition of "accessible". i vote for extend and relocate.

Status
Not open for further replies.