GFCI required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyboy

Is a mechanical room in a finished residential basement a non-habitable room and require GFCI protection for receptacles that serve circulation or boiler pumps according to NEC 210.8?

iwire

Staff member
I think that regardless of what you call the space if it is a dwelling unit basement and is unfinished it needs GFCI protection. Call it the laundry room, the mechanical room, the play room, the looser sons bedroom, etc it is still basement.

Riograndeelectric

I think that regardless of what you call the space if it is a dwelling unit basement and is unfinished it needs GFCI protection. Call it the laundry room, the mechanical room, the play room, the looser sons bedroom, etc it is still basement.

what is classified as un finished?
IMO if its a laundry room , office, bedroom in the basement I could consider that finished. unfinished to me is bare concrete walls open ceiling joist. what is the IRC or IBC definition of unfinished basement

iwire

Staff member
what is classified as un finished?
IMO if its a laundry room , office, bedroom in the basement I could consider that finished. unfinished to me is bare concrete walls open ceiling joist. what is the IRC or IBC definition of unfinished basement

I agree, but just because we call it a laundry room does not mean it is finished, it could still be bare floor, bare studs, bare ceiling etc.

raider1

Staff member
If the mechanical room is unfinished GFCI protection is required regardless of condition of the rest of the basement.

210.8 A5

I agree, but what determines an unfinished mechanical room?

The building codes do not require a mechanical room to be sheetrocked, painted or have any other floor coverings than the raw concrete.

Chris

iwire

Staff member

The building codes do not require a mechanical room to be sheetrocked, painted or have any other floor coverings than the raw concrete.

Chris

IMO, lack of floor and wall finishes even when not required means it is an unfinished room.

I take 'unfinished' to mean no wall , floor or ceiling 'finish' I do not believe they mean 'incomplete' as in a work in progress.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Not relevant. The question is, "what determines an unfinished basement (or portion thereof)"?

IMO, lack of floor and wall finishes even when not required means it is an unfinished room.
That is not how the code defines it. The phrase "unfinished basement" is defined as being not intended to be habitable and being limited to storage or a work area.

We were not told what exactly is located in the area under discussion. I infer that we are talking about a multi-family dwelling unit, and that the room has the central air conditioning system or similar equipment. Such a room would not be intended to be habitable. Such a room could be used for storage or as a work area. That brings 210.8(A)(5) into play, and thus GFCI protection would be required for any receptacles in the area.

raider1

Staff member

I take 'unfinished' to mean no wall , floor or ceiling 'finish' I do not believe they mean 'incomplete' as in a work in progress.

I see that I am getting 210.8(A)(5) and 210.52(G) mixed up as far as "Unfinished" is concerned.

I can see where a basement mechanical room can be considered a "similar area" to a work area or storage area for purposes of 210.8(A)(5).

Chris

jwjrw

Is an office in a house with a window and a closet a bedroom or an office? Around here its a bedroom even if it says office on plans. In 210.8 it spells out what unfinished means.

Regularkevin

This topic got derailed real quick.

Is a mechanical room in a finished residential basement a non-habitable room and require GFCI protection for receptacles that serve circulation or boiler pumps according to NEC 210.8?

Perhaps we should explore 210.63?

electricmanscott

In general I'd say this is one of those "I know it when I see it" deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.