Exterior receptacles on commercial building

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgentile

Does the 2008 code specify that an exterior receptacle on a commercial or public building be either TR or have a lockable WP cover? I know this to be true on a single family dwelling due to the TR code change in 2008 but what about commercial or public buildings?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
welcome to the Forum.
I agree with what the others have stated. If NEC is your governing Code, you can check 406.11 which refers you to 210.52 for the TR.
406.8 references your cover.

jwjrw

Thanks for the info guys. JW, the WP is "weather proof" or as show on most of my drawings "WP GFCI" Usually meaning an in use cover of some sorts.

I was just trying to make sure you knew the difference in a weatherproof and in use covers that 08 cycle requires

Article 90.1

The difference is in the language, they are tamper "resistant" and weather "resistant." The devices are embossed with. "TR" and "WR," respectively.

jwjrw

The difference is in the language, they are tamper "resistant" and weather "resistant." The devices are embossed with. "TR" and "WR," respectively.

We arent talking about wr gfi's. We were talking about weatherproof covers versus in use covers.

hot wire

I thank in use covers are a piece of trash and they stick off the wall to far.And there not cheap.But who im i. has any body seen any that are good ones. The ones ive used are the plastic ones that break when you try and open the cover

electricmanscott

I thank in use covers are a piece of trash and they stick off the wall to far.And there not cheap.But who im i. has any body seen any that are good ones. The ones ive used are the plastic ones that break when you try and open the cover

You need to stay up to date on products available. There are plenty of options.

jwjrw

I thought we were talking about TR receptacles vs locking covers.

We were then I asked the op what he meant by WP cover as I thought it needed an IN USE cover because it is outside. A WP cover to me just has the flaps. Just wanted to make sure he knew what was required.

fishin' electrician

http://www.aifittings.com/whnew123.htm

DSHBC1.jpg

jwjrw

WP GFCI or WP duplex, take your pick. I thought they all have the TR shutters in them to help with the WP rating.

Maybe In confused. Ive never seen a Weatherproof gfi just weather resistant which I was told was supposed to be made of different material to keep it from degrading in the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.