Yet another reason to hire an electrician

Status
Not open for further replies.

yfaze480

Well that slice of the wall that is missing was gently cut with my hammer and utility knife (but mostly my hammer) after i seen that mess. Probably wasn't the most professional way to handle it but all things considered i didn't think they'd say a word :D

Besoeker

You must have been a real hit at the Christmas party that year. :grin:
Actually, it was earlier this year.
There is a bit more to the story. It got more than a little acrimonious but I'm disinclined post further about it on a public forum.

pfalcon

Saw an online study from a University. Might take a bit to find but:

Virtually everyone questioned about their skills rated themselves between the 55th and 85th percentile no matter what the skill.

After testing, those with great scores increased their claims to between 85th and 95th percentile. Those with poor scores lowered theirs to between 50th and 60th. Virtually no one rated themselves as below average. This no matter how blatently they were shown to be inept.

Later experiments showed that the only way to get someone in the bottom quartile (0th to 25th percentiles) to recognize their ineptitude was to train them to be above the 40th percentile. The conclusion was that those below about the 40th percentile are too inept at a skill to recognize how bad they really are.

Added: Kruger and Dunning, Cornell University, 1999

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
................................ The conclusion was that those below about the 40th percentile are too inept at a skill to recognize how bad they really are.

a truism learned by every inspector with months.:)
in TN it is enforced by the issuance of "homeowner permits"

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Virtually everyone questioned about their skills rated themselves between the 55th and 85th percentile no matter what the skill.
Ah yes, 90% are above average.

I've YET to meet a driver who feels their skills are below average ...

yfaze480

I have been telling people they are too inept for years. This is great news cause now there is research to back it! But then where does that leave me ? :-? haha !! :grin:

I was thinking about posting some of the electrical work I have seen in Iraq...and probably still will as time allows. But that pic tops tops everything! I guess necessity is the mother of invention (and fire).

Just this morning I received pics from down range of work done by GI's, where they used spray foam instead of box connectors.

yfaze480

I was thinking about posting some of the electrical work I have seen in Iraq...and probably still will as time allows. But that pic tops tops everything! I guess necessity is the mother of invention (and fire).

Just this morning I received pics from down range of work done by GI's, where they used spray foam instead of box connectors.

Sure ! I have seen heavy expansion foam used for direct burial splice kits. still looking for the code that references it's use. lol

mivey

Spray foam is only part of the problem...
I don't get it. The military does a great job teaching these guys how to operate $M equipment. Why the problem with a $2 receptacle? Are they not required to take a course before embarking on a journey such as this?

Or do I have the wrong perception and they handle fighting equipment & ordinance with the same "get 'er done" attitude?

I don't get it. The military does a great job teaching these guys how to operate $M equipment. Why the problem with a $2 receptacle? Are they not required to take a course before embarking on a journey such as this?

Or do I have the wrong perception and they handle fighting equipment & ordinance with the same "get 'er done" attitude?

I'm not going to defend that craftsmanship in anyway. I was not part of it.

In my experiance over here the "powers that be" don't want to hear about delays. I have heard many times "just make it work". It can make for a tough situation. But with KBR making the news for the electrocutions (I think they are the scape goat) I have no trouble throwing the BS flag and doing things correctly.

mivey

I'm not going to defend that craftsmanship in anyway. I was not part of it.

In my experiance over here the "powers that be" don't want to hear about delays. I have heard many times "just make it work". It can make for a tough situation. But with KBR making the news for the electrocutions (I think they are the scape goat) I have no trouble throwing the BS flag and doing things correctly.
I could see if you were under fire, you do what you gotta do to survive. But I just don't see this as fitting that scenario. It is hard for me to judge sitting here in the states in an air-conditioned room.

I was just curious if it was a survival-mode situation or a just someone being slack. I am well aware that our soldiers, like in any other place, have some of those they work with that they have to keep an eye on.

I can't imagine having to wire anything knowing bullets could start whizzing past any moment. My thanks to our soldiers over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.