Is aluminum that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

I recently spoke over the phone to an associate of mine whom asked about feeding a 75a load in a dwelling. He's very cost conscious so I mentioned running aluminum to it. He told me (He's a GC not an EC) he does not like AL cable, I said what about the service in your new house, that's AL isn't it? "NO, I specified copper", he said. At the same time I'm listening to him, a co-worker of mine is shaking his head and mouthing the word no. I get off the phone and I ask him what he was saying. "Aluminum is bad, you need a certificate to work with it." I said "What!?, I never heard of that." Apparently, at one time, he met a guy that had a "License" to terminate aluminum. Should people be this afraid of using aluminum? I should mention the second guy in this conversation is more of an electronics guy than an electrician.

jwjrw

I recently spoke over the phone to an associate of mine whom asked about feeding a 75a load in a dwelling. He's very cost conscious so I mentioned running aluminum to it. He told me (He's a GC not an EC) he does not like AL cable, I said what about the service in your new house, that's AL isn't it? "NO, I specified copper", he said. At the same time I'm listening to him, a co-worker of mine is shaking his head and mouthing the word no. I get off the phone and I ask him what he was saying. "Aluminum is bad, you need a certificate to work with it." I said "What!?, I never heard of that." Apparently, at one time, he met a guy that had a "License" to terminate aluminum. Should people be this afraid of using aluminum? I should mention the second guy in this conversation is more of an electronics guy than an electrician.

We used to use only copper because we didnt think the old AL was good for lack of a better word.
Todays Al wire is made better for lack of a better word and does not have the reputation that old Al did.
That saying I dont have a problem pulling AL but I do like copper better.

Never heard of a license for Al work

Volta

Aluminum is fine. But if the loads will fluctuate widely the repeated expansion and contractions may reduce termination pressures prematurely.

Special care may be needed, but not certification.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
At one time in this area, the only know available means to add copper pigtails to aluminum Romex was with a tool and crimp manufactured by AMP. They required a class and "license" to use that tool.
Locally, that method gave birth to the statement that you had to have a special license to repair/install aluminum

jwjrw

At one time in this area, the only know available means to add copper pigtails to aluminum Romex was with a tool and crimp manufactured by AMP. They required a class and "license" to use that tool.
Locally, that method gave birth to the statement that you had to have a special license to repair/install aluminum

Wow you are from the dinosaur days to remember /know that!:D

charlietuna

I am a certified infrared thermographer -- nothing wrong with aluminum provided it is not overloaded and sized properly AND TERMINATE CORRECTLY !

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There's a big difference between #12 and #10 al NM cabling and larger sizes, like #8 and larger.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
In googling around looking for the new AL alloy standard that is different than the wiring used in the 70's (I believe the standard is called AA-2000, but wouldn't swear to it now), I came across this website refuting my belief that the new alloy is chiefly responsible for the improvement on safety of AL feeders today.

So is it the alloy which makes it safer today, or the practice of using fewer connections (i.e. restricting it's use to feeders and individual branch circuits?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In googling around looking for the new AL alloy standard that is different than the wiring used in the 70's (I believe the standard is called AA-2000, but wouldn't swear to it now), I came across this website refuting my belief that the new alloy is chiefly responsible for the improvement on safety of AL feeders today.

So is it the alloy which makes it safer today, or the practice of using fewer connections (i.e. restricting it's use to feeders and individual branch circuits?

Here's Southwire's "spin" and it identidies the alloys.
http://www.southwire.com/support/ALBuildingWire30YrsOfReliability.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.