Copper to $1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworkingstiff

I watch Fast Money on CNBC and they just had a guy on there saying copper would go to $1/pound, maybe even this year.

The traders didn't agree with him, but he did make the call. Interesting.

sparky=t

copper settled at 2.99 today, seems like a forecast indicating a depression, seems to me that commodities rise as the value of the dollar decreases.

mivey

Why would you want to stock up on something that's $2.99 a pound when it may fall to $1 a pound by year's end?
To get ahead of the curve. :grin:

add: The formula dynamics are too complex to discuss here, but the final statement would be something like: "but we will make it up in volume".

cadpoint

First of all most times it?s an extracted ore so there's always some processing involved, that will always be a cost of real money.

You need to look at years of pricing, if you can remember what was happening during the years; it might or might not become more relevant.

People go and study this stuff deeply yes, they get to say things because they see things, and I just think they missed the focus here. I just can't see it dropping that drastically. Mark me down as wrong! :)

jwjrw

When oil is up copper is up. If you see gas dropping to record lows maybe copper will too. BUT I dont see that happening...:D

__dan

commodity price inflation

commodity price inflation

Here's the link if you want to see for yourself.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/35313321/

$copper has a clear five waves up from the 12/08 low. The most that can be expected is an ABC retracement or a triangle shaped chop zone to consolidate the price gains. The price action is clearly bullish.

The commentator's premise is that the Chinese are overbuying and the excess stock will return to the market as selling. He must either be alone in that assessment or want to get in at a lower price and needs sellers. Commodities have been way bullish since 2001 or 2002 and the fundamentals have been solidly in support of this.

There have been other news reports, the Chinese are seeking the control the markets for 'rare earths metals' used in electronic devices. The Chinese are pretty consistently seeking to secure supplies of essential commodities, like copper, oil. They have been both buying and investing in companies and governments that have the resources to offer. Their buying is obviously long term and consistent. They could also be diversifying out of their fiat currency reserves into hard and strategic commodities. Chinese buying and investment of this type has been consistent for years. Do not stand in front of the train when it is moving.

Global growth rates are expected to continue positive into the future, especially in modernizing large countries like China, Brazil, India. They have a long way to go in infrastructure investment to catch up with the US and Europe. The US is expected to be sub par, investment wise. Capital investment = real demand.

For first world growth to continue, their governments have no choice but to inflate to currency (by government deficit spending). Weaker currency = commpdity price inflation. Copper and oil prices have been dominated recently by trends in foriegn currency exchange rates. Copper is down recently because the dollar has been rallying.

The only thing that could possibly slow global growth is a mini ice age (Landscheidt).

Status
Not open for further replies.