Allowance for lighting Residential?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1971

I have a customer that is looking at adding onto their existing home. They do not know if they want recessed lighting or surface mount lighting. They do not know quantities either. Should I give them an allowance and a cost installed per can? Or should I give them just a lump sum allowance for lighting? Any suggestions would be great.

jwjrw

I have a customer that is looking at adding onto their existing home. They do not know if they want recessed lighting or surface mount lighting. They do not know quantities either. Should I give them an allowance and a cost installed per can? Or should I give them just a lump sum allowance for lighting? Any suggestions would be great.

If they want cans in a new construction situation I figure half an hour a can plus can. Remodel 125 to 150 and thats if there is no steel between beams etc.
As far as quanties I get a general idea how much light they want and tack cans up let them see and add from there
Maybe two 4" over sink , two 4" eyeball over fireplace, 6" everywhere else
Tacking them up helps them really see before its too hard to add

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

I do not like lump sums.

Exact prices help to prevent problems down the road.

ty

i agree. But also include price for each switch.
Many people forget this part. There might be 16 cans, but there might be 8 switches.

Lump sum for lighting would be for Fixture cost only. Not amount of light boxes or installation.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
If they want cans in a new construction situation I figure half an hour a can plus can. Remodel 125 to 150 and thats if there is no steel between beams etc.

You still get 125- 150 for cut in cans ?

kbsparky

Figure the cost of the most expensive can + trim that they might pick. Add the costs of bulbs, and then multiply by your mark-up percentage. Multiply that total by the number of fixtures, and you have your (lump sum) allowance.

Be sure to include a disclaimer that any shortages (or overages) will be adjusted at final billing of the job.

dmagyar

Can's & switches

Can's & switches

Chris1971, ty (Todd) is right on with switching and where they're going to be located, which are difficult to impossible if located on outer walls. Note that the cost for switching is apart from whatever you're going to forward for the lights. Also check how much space in attic for crawling around, remember thats reduced based on pitch of roof at the perimeters of the house. Also be sure to offer "CFL" recessed fixtures as an option, you'll be saving them money in the long run.

If you get really serious you can obtain a "photometric" program to layout and predict what the footcandles or lumens will be with a respective fixture installed.

electricmanscott

What I would do is tell them what they want not the other way around. I give a recommended lighting layout and a price to make it happen. If they don't go with it that's their choice but you are the professional, you should be guiding the customer. If they go with their own design there is no way they can blame the "stupid electrician" for the poor lighting.

jwjrw

You still get 125- 150 for cut in cans ?

I do. I hate putting in remodels and seems like the rafters are always in the spot the customer wants.. I spend some time with a stud finder draw pattern on ceiling let customer see before I cut..I have lowered my prices but not on remodel cans..Unless they want to do T/M.....Installing remodel cans can either be a breeze or one big headache(like when more than one beam has steel in it)

JLCELEC

Guys out here in Jersey are doing remodel cans for $80 buck a piece. It makes me sick but i have to match there price or ill be living in the street...:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.