temporary power

Status
Not open for further replies.
If all temporary power,must be GFIC protected or have a monitored grounding
system.And you can't mix temporary power circuits with temporany lighting circuits do to the fact of light dissrupsion with ground faults.Do you put GFIC protection on temporary lighting at all?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You are not required to. I don't know of a NEC provision that prohibits doing so.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
If your temporary lighting is supplied by a receptacle, that receptacle would require GFCI protection. However, 590.4(D) requires that no receptacles be placed on circuits supplying temporary lighting - so are we not allowed to use cord-and-plug-connected light strings for temporary lighting...? Hmm...

I've heard that OSHA will not recognize the assured grounding conductor provisons in the NEC anymore, so I suppose we can scratch that out of our books.

wireguru

nec 525 (carnivals) prohibits GFCIs on circuits supplying lighting which is used for egress. (so if you need these lights to see to get out, no gfci) I wonder if there is similar language elsewhere.

iwire

Staff member
I've heard that OSHA will not recognize the assured grounding conductor provisons in the NEC anymore, so I suppose we can scratch that out of our books.

I think you have been lied to. :)

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=10705

1926.404(b)(1)(i)

General. The employer shall use either ground fault circuit interrupters as specified in paragraph (b)(1)(ii) of this section or an assured equipment grounding conductor program as specified in paragraph (b)(1)(iii) of this section to protect employees on construction sites. These requirements are in addition to any other requirements for equipment grounding conductors.

1926.404(b)(1)(iii)

Assured equipment grounding conductor program. The employer shall establish and implement an assured equipment grounding conductor program on construction sites covering all cord sets, receptacles which are not a part of the building or structure, and equipment connected by cord and plug which are available for use or used by employees. This program shall comply with the following minimum requirements:

1926.404(b)(1)(iii)(A)

A written description of the program, including the specific procedures adopted by the employer, shall be available at the jobsite for inspection and copying by the Assistant Secretary and any affected employee.

1926.404(b)(1)(iii)(B)

The employer shall designate one or more competent persons (as defined in 1926.32(f)) to implement the program.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We use the assured grounding program and each sub is responsible for their own personal portable GFCI devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.