Your Advice Needed On Phone Number...

Status
Not open for further replies.

N844AA

Here in Los Angeles, there's about 6 area codes and people (especially general contractors) believe for some reason, that I don't work out side of my area code. They have a built in prejudice, they see an area code in advertising and immediately assume that their job is outside my service area.

For some reason, people think electrical contractors only service people in their local neighborhood. The reality is, as anybody in this business knows, modern vehicles are quite reliable and all the roads are paved, so ECs service large metropolitan areas.

This is maddening to me, people take one look at my area code and assume I don't service their area...

One solution is an 800 number, but I wonder how consumers react when they see an 800 number. An 800 number is geographically neutral so it conceals your location from consumers and avoids this weird area code prejudice people have.

On the other hand, does an 800 number make a consumer less likely to call because the 800 number "feels weird" to them? 30 years ago, a "Toll Free" number actually saved consumers money as it was a free call, but these days that is not the case.

Aside from being electricians and contractors, you guys are also consumers, if you received a direct mail advertising piece from a roofer or plumber and he had an 800 number, does that number automatically cause you to make an assumption about his business? If so, what assumptions would you make? Is a number just a number and you make no assumptions?

Your input is highly appreciated, thanks.

Speaking personally I would not call an 800 number. My first assumption would be that I was calling some type of central "clearing house" that is trolling for calls and than subbing out the work. Perhaps if you your direct mailing made clear that this is not the case it would sway some, but I probably would still be a bit wary.

Perhaps another tactic could be in the direct mailing you could make a list of the areas/ neighborhoods that you do service.

As a side note I find it odd that in a major metro area that people still have this bias. Here in the Denver area there are 2 area codes and I find that most people understand that with the explosion of fax machines, cell phones etc in the past 10-15 years that area codes don't really mean that much in terms of geography. On the other hand if you try to get work in the mountains it definately helps to have a number with their local area code (which is different from the ones in Denver). People will generally assume that if you have a Denver area code that you will not service the mountains.

N844AA

Speaking personally I would not call an 800 number. My first assumption would be that I was calling some type of central "clearing house" that is trolling for calls and than subbing out the work. Perhaps if you your direct mailing made clear that this is not the case it would sway some, but I probably would still be a bit wary.

Yeah, I think that an 800 number may arouse suspicions such as those you mention. My ads always say "City Wide Service" but it might not hurt if I elaborated a bit...

wireguru

do you have room to publish a couple numbers? buy some voip numbers and forward them to your main line. 'serving all of greater los angeles 310-xxx-xxxx / 213-xxx-xxxx / 818-xxx-xxxx'

N844AA

do you have room to publish a couple numbers? buy some voip numbers and forward them to your main line. 'serving all of greater los angeles 310-xxx-xxxx / 213-xxx-xxxx / 818-xxx-xxxx'

Now that's a very good idea, and many contractors do that, but are consumers aware that these numbers all ring the same phone or do they assume you have satellite locations all over town?

Last edited:

Sparky555

I have a similar issue and was able to get another number in the other area code. I have it forward to my business line. It's $19.50 plus taxes per month with AT&T.

wireguru

I have a similar issue and was able to get another number in the other area code. I have it forward to my business line. It's $19.50 plus taxes per month with AT&T.

thats alot to pay. You can do it with voip and pay $1.39/mo for the number and a penny a minute used.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Did you ever think about the fact that maybe people in your area code are only calling you and the other ECs in your area code? Sounds like a wash to me.

Now that's a very good idea, and many contractors do that, but are consumers aware that these numbers all ring the same phone or do they assume you have satellite locations all over town?

I don't think it makes a difference. As long as the phone rings and you can do the job the customer can think whatever they want.

Buck Parrish

I'm in areas where not only does the area code matter. The land line first 3 prefix 's will get the first calls.
However if they don't answer the customer will move on.
I have 4 numbers with 4 different area codes . For the reasons you have described.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I'm in areas where not only does the area code matter. The land line first 3 prefix 's will get the first calls.
However if they don't answer the customer will move on.
I have 4 numbers with 4 different area codes . For the reasons you have described.

Speaking of that, there is a town nearby where everybody has the same area code and exchange...so if they believe that you know they're in that town they will give you the last 4 digits of their number in a matter of fact way.

"OK, well just call me when you get close at 3224 and I'll give you directions."

eric7379

Here is another thought or idea to consider with using a 800 number:

On your advertisement, what about something along the lines of:

"XXX-555-1234

or outside of XXX area code, call 1-800-555-1234"

Just a thought

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Speaking of that, there is a town nearby where everybody has the same area code and exchange...so if they believe that you know they're in that town they will give you the last 4 digits of their number in a matter of fact way.

"OK, well just call me when you get close at 3224 and I'll give you directions."
That's how it was early on with automated switching. You didn't need seven digits unless you were calling outside your exchange.

cadpoint

Why don't you just add the expression to the truck; "Covering LA", "The Electrican of LA",
"We Love Southern California"; "All Services for All of LA Metro", "We Love to Wire, California Style",
or something to that effect!

Status
Not open for further replies.