wiring a barn

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

Have your reviewed Article 547 in the NEC?

This Article deals with the wiring of agricultural buildings, including horse barns.

Chris

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
There is a type of NM cable NM-C intended for this application, but its not common.
I would suggest PVC sch 80 with PVC FS boxes, run guard strips on each side to protect from chewing and damage.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
What is a guard strip?
I think what Tom means is put up a physical barrier that will prevent a horse from accessing the device boxes with its mouth, but will still allow a person to use the device. For example, some strips of wood on either side of the box that project out several inches.

Cheers, Wayne

C3PO

I think what Tom means is put up a physical barrier that will prevent a horse from accessing the device boxes with its mouth, but will still allow a person to use the device. For example, some strips of wood on either side of the box that project out several inches.

Cheers, Wayne

That is what I try to do as well. Also I try to avoid puting anything in the stalls where the horses spend more time. They are very bad about messing stuff up.

Power Tech

The barns and stalls I have wired have been in EMT.

Agree with the previous posts to keep everything out of the stalls and use waterproof boxes and covers.

I do not like the PVC boxes and fittings. They warp and discolor in the sun.

They have powerful teeth and get very board. I make sure there is no way they can get at it to crib.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Power Tech,
547.5, Wiring Methods, does not list EMT as an approved raceway, or is a horse barn not covered in 547? I ask because I am pricing a horse barn project.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Power Tech,
547.5, Wiring Methods, does not list EMT as an approved raceway, or is a horse barn not covered in 547? I ask because I am pricing a horse barn project.

I would say that emt is not approved. It seems that any metallic raceway other than MC which is aluminum sheath, is not allowed. I bet the corrosive atmosphere has something to do with it.

Buck Parrish

Also the lights like you use in a freezer work very well. The incadescent ones with the glass globe.
The dust proof covers for flourescent lights cost more than the light.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
547.1(a) livestock then 547.5(a)"or raceways suitable" so emt .
Larry your one sick sob, body cavity search.

kwired

Electron manager
I would say that emt is not approved. It seems that any metallic raceway other than MC which is aluminum sheath, is not allowed. I bet the corrosive atmosphere has something to do with it.

the general idea is to not run any raceway where animals can get to it but occasionally this is impossible. In these cases you must use rigid/IMC or you will have to replace it before you get back into truck. Even rigid/IMC will not last forever. 1000+ pound animals are hard on everything in sight.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Dennis,
UF is OK for a horse barn but not EMT? Not that it's relevant, but they do make MC cable in steel too.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I find it odd that 547.5(A) refers you to wiring methods listed in 502 Part II as being acceptable. 502 Part II lists EMT which should open the door for such use, but 502 also list MC and 547.5(A) states only jacketed MC.

Status
Not open for further replies.