All Kitchen outlets GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our plan review, OH, keeps forcing all outlets in the Kitchen to be GFCI. NEC 210.8.B is the reference. I think that GFCI on an outlet that serves refrigerators or hot cabinets is a bad idea. If it tripped and wasn't caught right away food could be compromised and possibly still served. How do you guys feel and what ammo can you offer to argue this? I have said just this and I get the code doesn't differentiate between equipment response.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I have said just this and I get the code doesn't differentiate between equipment response.
We are limited by the Code, at this point. Personnel safety is trump. Evidently restaurant customers, even though they might get tainted food, don't qualify, yet, as personnel. Might be a cause of action there, based upon discrimination.:roll:
How do you guys feel and what ammo can you offer to argue this?
I feel that this, and a few other NEC requirements, has taken the quest for safety to the level that we now have to install safety apparatus and procedures to protect ourselves from the intended operation of safety equipment.:mad:

raider1

Staff member
If it tripped and wasn't caught right away food could be compromised and possibly still served.

If the GFCI trips then most likely it is doing its job and protecting personnel from a potential shock.

With the changes in GFCI technology and the UL standards for refrigeration equipment, there really is not much of a chance for "nuisance" tripping of the GFCI.

Chris

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree that if the refrigerator is working properly then nuisance tripping shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise you would need to find a 208 or 240 volt commercial refrigerator.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
With the changes in GFCI technology and the UL standards for refrigeration equipment, there really is not much of a chance for "nuisance" tripping of the GFCI.
Good for manufacturers. Most all the old equipment is now "obsoleted". Talk about stimulus . . .

iwire

Staff member
I will point out that this requirement was put into the NEC because of restaurant employees being electrocuted by 125 volt kitchen equipment.

I think the chances of getting this taken out of the NEC are between slim and none.

raider1

Staff member
I will point out that this requirement was put into the NEC because of restaurant employees being electrocuted by 125 volt kitchen equipment.

I think the chances of getting this taken out of the NEC are between slim and none.

I agree.:)

Chris

480sparky

........I think the chances of getting this taken out of the NEC are between slim and none.

And Slim has left town.
smiley_cigar.gif

gersh

Kitchen GFI Receptacles

Kitchen GFI Receptacles

I believe, this have been changed, that the Receptacles for the Refrigerator does not have to be GFI. People were complaining, that the GFI Receptacle for the Refrigerator was constantly tripping, due to the inrush of the compressor.

iwire

Staff member
I believe, this have been changed, that the Receptacles for the Refrigerator does not have to be GFI. People were complaining, that the GFI Receptacle for the Refrigerator was constantly tripping, due to the inrush of the compressor.

Not in the NEC, as matter of fact the NEC has been removing GFCI exceptions not adding to them.

TCN

If the GFCI trips then most likely it is doing its job and protecting personnel from a potential shock.

Chris

This is very true, but the old fears still hang on. GFCI protection in commercial kitchens is a beautiful thing. If the appliance if faulty it needs to be fixed or replaced before an accident. You can't buy a life back, not even a moment.:)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The refrigerators can be connected to a dialer that will notify certain people in the case of loss of power, the GFCI requirement is here to stay and rightfully so.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.