Disconnect means for cooktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwelectric

How do most of you provide a disconnect means for cooktop.......cord and plug?

422.31 Disconnection of Permanently Connected Appliances.
(B) Appliances Rated over 300 Volt-Amperes or Horsepower. For permanently connected appliances rated over 300 volt-amperes or hp, the branch-circuit switch or circuit breaker shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance or is capable of being locked in the open position. The provision for locking or adding a lock to the disconnecting means shall be installed on or at the switch or circuit breaker used as the disconnecting means and shall remain in place with or without the lock installed.

Bobhook149

422.31 Disconnection of Permanently Connected Appliances.
(B) Appliances Rated over 300 Volt-Amperes or Horsepower. For permanently connected appliances rated over 300 volt-amperes or hp, the branch-circuit switch or circuit breaker shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance or is capable of being locked in the open position. The provision for locking or adding a lock to the disconnecting means shall be installed on or at the switch or circuit breaker used as the disconnecting means and shall remain in place with or without the lock installed.

Most of the time the cb is not within sight so i'm taking it you install a locking device. I ask because i never see one around here.?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
......... The provision for locking or adding a lock to the disconnecting means shall be installed on or at the switch or circuit breaker used as the disconnecting means and shall remain in place with or without the lock installed.

Have not had one single inspector enforce this yet, Georgia, Tennesee, and North Carolina:)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Here:
422.34 Unit Switch(es) as Disconnecting Means.
A unit switch(es) with a marked-off position that is a part of an appliance and disconnects all ungrounded conductors shall be permitted as the disconnecting means required by this article where other means for disconnection are provided in occupancies specified in 422.34(A) through (D).

S'mise

Here:
A unit switch(es) with a marked-off position that is a part of an appliance and disconnects all ungrounded conductors shall be permitted as the disconnecting means required by this article where other means for disconnection are provided in occupancies specified in 422.34(A) through (D).

So your saying the knob on the cooktop may be considered the disconnect means, so 422.31 is really a moot point?

Cavie

So your saying the knob on the cooktop may be considered the disconnect means, so 422.31 is really a moot point?

There is not one switch on a cooktop that disconects all ungrounded conductors. Cooktop must have a disconect or lockout on the breaker.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
There is not one switch on a cooktop that disconnects all ungrounded conductors.
422.34 also states "switches" . . . that is, multiple switches.

Now, if the switches are solid state and are always supplied power, unless the power is removed at the source, then there's an objection.

jwjrw

I have never been turned down for this and have never installed a breaker lock in nc. I always assumed like gus that the off switches are all that is required. So who is right?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Here:

How does the clock still work?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Nor have I. I think for many years the CTs had switches that did actually switch the power so 422.34 was justified. On many of today's models it may not be and us inspectors have not "caught up". A breaker lock would be a cheap,easy way to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.