Disconnect means for cooktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortcircuit2

I have to hookup a Diva model DDP-3 7600watt cooktop. The cooktop comes without a whip and the instructions say it is the owners obligation to supply the whip and UL standard 858 allows a #10 AWG wire size and they recommend using 10/3 SJOOW cord. There is a very small plastic connection box on the bottom of the unit and it is tight with 10-3...

See page 2 of this link...

http://www.ajmadison.com/ajmadison/itemdocs/Install_DDP3_B.pdf

I have never seen a cooktop without a whip. Is it OK to field install a 10/3 cord to a 7600watt cooktop with a 40amp circuit breaker?

I will put a disconnect under the counter or a lock kit on at the breaker.

shortcircuit2

I have to hookup a Diva model DDP-3 7600watt cooktop. The cooktop comes without a whip and the instructions say it is the owners obligation to supply the whip and UL standard 858 allows a #10 AWG wire size and they recommend using 10/3 SJOOW cord. There is a very small plastic connection box on the bottom of the unit and it is tight with 10-3...

I have never seen a cooktop without a whip. Is it OK to field install a 10/3 cord to a 7600watt cooktop with a 40amp circuit breaker?

shortcircuit2

#10 cannot be on a 40 amp breaker, unless its motors or compressors etc.

Jim W in Tampa

The number 10 in a factory whip is not the same wire as your thhn. I think your still ok with a 30 amp breaker unless specs say 40 min. if it does you have a problem

jwjrw

Since the manufacture said the owner should supply the whip and the size I assume they also tell you what size breaker to use. Or I've never seen one that didn't.

shortcircuit2

shortcircuit2

The instructions require a 40amp breaker. But the instructions also say UL standard 858 allows a #10 for the whip to the appliance. I have never field installed a whip for a cooktop.Anyone hooked up one of these in the field?

I'm thinking it may be OK for the factory to do but not the electrician in the field who goes by the NEC, not the UL 858 standard.

shortcircuit2

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I'm thinking it may be OK for the factory to do but not the electrician in the field who goes by the NEC, not the UL 858 standard.
I agree. The Outlet between the Premises Wiring (System) and the Utilization Equipment is in different places, depending upon whether the whip is field or factory installed.

When the whip is factory installed it is part of the Utilization Equipment and the Outlet is on the end of the whip away from the cooktop itself.

When the whip is field installed, the whip is part of the Premises Wiring (System) and the Outlet is inside the small plastic box on the cooktop.

The NEC extends to the end of the Premises Wiring (System).

jwelectric

shortcircuit2

210.19(A)(3)
Exception No. 1: Conductors tapped from a 50-ampere branch circuit supplying electric ranges, wall-mounted electric ovens, and counter-mounted electric cooking units shall have an ampacity of not less than 20 amperes and shall be sufficient for the load to be served. These tap conductors include any conductors that are a part of the leads supplied with the appliance that are smaller than the branch-circuit conductors. The taps shall not be longer than necessary for servicing the appliance.

Jim W in Tampa

... 220 V, 60 Hz, 2 Pole+G,
40 A supply
(3 wire #8 AWG)

Your load is closer to 35 amps than 30.

Your also needing by NEC a 4 wire outlet (neutral and ground) even if this cook top does not use a neutral your out needs it.

The install directions also say to comply with local codes (NEC)

Way i see this is yes 40 amp breaker
Whip #8

DDP-3 electrical characteristics are:
Operating voltage ... 220 V~ 60 Hz
Total power ... 7600 W
Connect to ... 220 V, 60 Hz, 2 Pole+G,
40 A supply
(3 wire #8 AWG)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.