Balls on transmission lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

ty

I was trying to give the reader a perspective of what they might look like from the ground. Most of them do not get to see this stuff up close and don't realize how big (or heavy) some of it is.

Add: the balls are relatively light but some of the other stuff is surprisingly heavy.

yeah. It's kind of like the red/yellow/green traffic light lenses.
When I ask people how big they think those are, they usually say about 6". Not quite...

And the white dotted lines on a highway. most people I ask think they are about 3 feet long. Not even close to the actual.

mivey

...And the white dotted lines on a highway. most people I ask think they are about 3 feet long. Not even close to the actual.
Never paid any attention. I guess I could look it up but given that a lane is 10-12 ft, and that I don't picture it as being that long: 8.5ft?

mivey

Never paid any attention. I guess I could look it up but given that a lane is 10-12 ft, and that I don't picture it as being that long: 8.5ft?
According to Tom Vanderbilt, the author of "Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us)."

But in fact, while the exact length varies, the U.S. standard calls for 10 feet, though depending on the speed limit of the road, the stripes might be as long as 12 to 14 feet. Seen from above, in most cases, it is clear that the stripe is as long as the cars themselves. Their ratio to the space between them is generally 3 to 1 -- meaning that for a 10-foot stripe, there's 30 feet of space

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jul/27/opinion/op-vanderbilt-sub27

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi, what is the purpose of balls on transmission lines ? here is a link but i am not sure..
İs it related to the helicopters or about wind vibration or what?
The balls are for visibility. They may not seem effective when seen from the ground, but when you're level with them or above them, they do stand out.

Vibration dampers are pairs of weights on arms a few feet to each side of the support clamp. They prevent wires from breaking at the clamp. See image:

stockbridge-damper.jpg

lakee911

I always wondered what those doohickeys were near the insulators. Thanks for the pic.

My recommendation would be to keep your balls off of the transmission lines, unless you inadvertantly put them there because you can't see the line. ;)

AV ELECTRIC

I would say Larry wins the hundred dollar question nice work sorry theres not more times are tough even for sweepstakes

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Since helicopters are used to survey the lines, I can see the need for them (orange balls) where one would not normally expect to see aircraft.

There are other reasons that helicopters may fly in the proximity of the lines. I can tell you from first hand experience (search and rescue) that flying near transmission lines in a helicopter is really creepy!

I have also seen them near expressways. Since expressways can be used as an emergency landing strip, marking the high tension lines that cross them seems prudent to me.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I was told by a pilot friend that the reason they are not on all wires in flight paths (besides the cost) is because in addition to the visual, they also show up on Radar, so they tend to only put them in flight paths where aircraft are allowed to fly on instruments only. Some smaller airports don't allow that under any circumstances, so they don't bother with the balls around those unless there has already been a "wire strike" as the FAA refers to it as.

I thought they were the size of basketballs. This vide gives a better size perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Hxqd9X7qM

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Hey Mivey,
Chill----
don't give our friend Ham overseas such a hard time. I really think what you posted could have been saved for a PM if at all.

Last edited:

mivey

Hey Mivey,
Chill----
don't give our friend Ham overseas such a hard time. I really think what you posted could have been saved for a PM if at all.
Thanks for your input. I thought what I said was good information in general and Ham is not the only guilty party. He has just been getting more frequent flyer miles than most lately.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Thanks for your input. I thought what I said was good information in general and Ham is not the only guilty party. He has just been getting more frequent flyer miles than most lately.

Your welcome. Maybe I'm just a bit sensitive on this. I just would that people NOT think this forum is all about some stuffy old electricians opinions.

In the past I have seen lots of posts just for the purpose of reaching some target goal number of posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.