New Mass Smoke detector codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

Repost from another thread but very important

There is major confusion with this new rule change. The above is true ONLY for home built prior to 1975 and upon transfer or sale. The law change of 4/5/2010 does not apply to new construction/major renovation homes.

I have spoken to many confused realtors, electricians, and inspectors. I have also spoken to the state fire marshalls office who confirmed that everything I am saying here is correct. I also have paperwork from said office that spells it all out.
So as far as we are concerned it's business as usual for us.

For new construction homes built after 1975 or undergoing renovation such as the original posters case,you are required to have smoke detectors installed that comply with the building code requirements of the date of permitting.

For new construction/renovation permitted 1/1/2008 or later

Smoke detectors are required as follows
  • In each bedroom
  • Outside of each bedroom
  • at the base of each stairway
  • Minimum of one detector for every 1200 sq ft of living space per level
  • Must be hardwired with battery backup
  • If within 20 ft of kitchen or bath must be photo electric
  • Outside of 20 ft must be photelectric or photo/ion combo

Carbon monoxide requirements

• On every level of residence including habital portions of attics and basements and located within 10 feet of each bedroom door
  • Combo photoelectric smokes/ carbon monoxide detectors may be used
  • Must be hardwired and interconnected with battery backup.

Heat detector requirements

• Must have a single heat detector in any garage attached to or under a residence
  • Must be hardwired and interconnected with or without battery backup to the smoke detection system

Last edited:

electricmanscott

I left out that the requirements outlined apply to single family dwelling
For up to three family dwellings add the following:

Common areas must have smoke detectors on each level. These smoke must be interconnected to each other (not to the smoke detectors inside the dwelling units)and can not be powered from a tenant panel. If the location does not allow smoke detectors (such as an outdoor stairway common in some three family buildings) heat detectors may be required.

Ragin Cajun

Absolute overkill, especially the hard wired requirement.

They are in bed with the detector manufacturers!

Codes have gone beyond safety, they are a huge "business" with no controls to keep them in check.

IMHO

RC

electricmanscott

Absolute overkill, especially the hard wired requirement.

They are in bed with the detector manufacturers!

Codes have gone beyond safety, they are a huge "business" with no controls to keep them in check.

IMHO

RC

This is not a thread to debate the merits of smoke detector locations and what not. Please start a new code bashing thread.

While I did not get into all the good detail you provided, my point was that other than inside the 20 foot location of a kitchen or a bath with shower or tub, ALL smokes in MA need to be both Photoelectric and Ionization combos. I did miss that the delay for this requirement to April is only for sales, not for new constuction. Please let me know if I am misreading Mass CMR 527.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Cha Ching.......and the beat goes on while the price goes up. AFCI's, TR, etal, maybe somethings should be left to the Homeowner/Builder to decide. I just don't like how the government or AHJ's are trying to save us from ourselves. Freedom has it's risks. FWIW...I was in AZ recently and they had carbon monoxide detectors in all electric homes..........

Last edited:

electricmanscott

While I did not get into all the good detail you provided, my point was that other than inside the 20 foot location of a kitchen or a bath with shower or tub, ALL smokes in MA need to be both Photoelectric and Ionization combos. I did miss that the delay for this requirement to April is only for sales, not for new constuction. Please let me know if I am misreading Mass CMR 527.

Maybe you SHOULD get into all the good detail I provided. :roll:

You can lead a horse to water....

electricmanscott

Cha Ching.......and the beat goes on while the price goes up. AFCI's, TR, etal, maybe somethings should be left to the Homeowner/Builder to decide. I just don't like how the government or AHJ's are trying to save us from ourselves. Freedom has it's risks. FWIW...I was in AZ recently and they had carbon monoxide detectors in all electric homes..........

Please keep the rants based on your opinions out of this.
This is not a tea party thread.

Next time I'll cut and paste the entire NFPA 72 as well as the Mass CMR. Maybe that will make you happy. Thanks for answering my question and being civil.

electricmanscott

Next time I'll cut and paste the entire NFPA 72 as well as the Mass CMR. Maybe that will make you happy. Thanks for answering my question and being civil.

I was just bustin your chops for not reading the info I posted and then asking about it. :grin:

I hope you did get a chance to read it though. You have incorrect info.

Just trying to help you out.

Last edited:

JWCELECTRIC

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the info. You mentioned the Carbon combo units, I know homeowners can get the ones that plug into receptacles. Has the rule changed that they requiered to be hard wired, or is that for combo units only?

- JWC

Status
Not open for further replies.