Condensate Pumps above ceilings

Status
Not open for further replies.

olc

Condensate pumps (e.g. Little Giant HVAC condensate pump) are located above suspended ceilings all the time. Usually they have cords and plugs. As far as I can tell the cord is not allowed above the suspended ceiling. Am I missing something? Can the cord be replaced with direct connect (MC cable or metalic flex)?

jwjrw

Nope I think its a violation. Ive heard you can put the pump and receptacle in a cabinet and be ok.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Buy a pump that's is listed to be hardwired.

1019512720_2.gif

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Another BS rule. Probably left over from the dinosaur days of cracked and dried out cords. No need for this to be an issue anymore.
But it still is an issue. I just changed out a number of cords for platform scales that were installed less than 10 years ago because the outer jacket and the conductor insulation was cracked, dried out and falling off. This was an interior location so UV from the sun was not an issue and neither was physical damage. It was the exact same deterioration that is the reason for the code rule that says no cords above the ceiling.

electricmanscott

But it still is an issue. I just changed out a number of cords for platform scales that were installed less than 10 years ago because the outer jacket and the conductor insulation was cracked, dried out and falling off. This was an interior location so UV from the sun was not an issue and neither was physical damage. It was the exact same deterioration that is the reason for the code rule that says no cords above the ceiling.

I'd say requiring better materials would be the way to go then. There is no reason this should be an issue.

EBFD6

I agree with Scott. This is a ridiculous rule, the condensate pump will quit working and need to be replaced long before the cord will deteriorate. While this is definitely an NEC violation, it is not one I lose sleep over. I will admit I have done this in the past and will again in the future.

mxslick

What I want to know is why is it permitted under a raised floor (Which I have worked with and it is a nastier environment that inside a dropped ceiling) and not allowed above a dropped ceiling, which in 90% or more of the cases I can think of will allow easier access.....

I also agree with Scott, a BS rule that needs to be changed and allow some latitude...for example, allowing flexible cords of materials that have shown the ability to hold up.

chevyx92

I agree with Scott. This is a ridiculous rule, the condensate pump will quit working and need to be replaced long before the cord will deteriorate. While this is definitely an NEC violation, it is not one I lose sleep over. I will admit I have done this in the past and will again in the future.

I agree with both of you, 100% BS! I'm getting ready to set an outlet above ceiling for a condensate pump thats is brand new and installed and needs power. I'm not doing anything wrong, I'm not plugging it in, just providing power. :grin:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I'd say requiring better materials would be the way to go then. There is no reason this should be an issue.
That may be, but most of the currently available cords do not have quality materials and apparently they meet the current standards as they often have a UL label.

lakee911

If you have floor above the level with a dropped ceiling, can one make the argument that the suspended ceiling is the true floor and upstairs is a raised floor? Presto...allowed. :D

cschmid

here is another one of those codes put into play and see what happens imagine what it is really like in the real world with unqualified people doing the work..I can tell you from experience that a lot of building maintenance workers (janitors) do electrical work and these are in governmental buildings. I have repaired the work myself so I know it exists..so if the government does not care why should the public..

electricmanscott

One would think that SO cords rated for wet locations would work fine in a ceiling environment, it just amazes me that cords are allowed under a raised floor and not a drop ceiling.

I agree. Look at NM cable. Perfectly fine in a concealed environment. Why can;t we make a cord that will last?

mxslick

One would think that SO cords rated for wet locations would work fine in a ceiling environment, it just amazes me that cords are allowed under a raised floor and not a drop ceiling.

Is there an echo in here?:grin:

What I want to know is why is it permitted under a raised floor (Which I have worked with and it is a nastier environment that inside a dropped ceiling) and not allowed above a dropped ceiling, which in 90% or more of the cases I can think of will allow easier access.....

I also agree with Scott, a BS rule that needs to be changed and allow some latitude...for example, allowing flexible cords of materials that have shown the ability to hold up.

Like NM cable's jacket and insulation on the conductors for example, as Scott just pointed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.