Enclosing Low Voltage Not Permitted???

Status
Not open for further replies.

iknduit

I've added a new "canopy entrance to my house in Las Vegas. Standard 4x4 post supporting 2x6 beams. Skylights the first 3 bays and open air trellis beams outer 2. Posts and beams are surrounded by hardie board to create beams and triangular columns (all are open at the top). Intended on lighting with existing Malibu lights and two transformers. NEC says cannot conceal low voltage wiring or lights. I want to string 18 ga wire from cable to each 20w flood light through the beams to light fixture used as downlight. Talking only(7)total 20 w downlight locations.
Several questions here:
The code limitation is to prevent high heat and melting wire or fire? Rapid heat build-up is not possible within the beams as they are not sealed and there is 24 inches h x 12inches w space within. Hardie board is non-flamable.
Do I have to purchase all class 2 stuff?
Can I use insulated flex from cable to light?
I have 2003IRC but not NEC book
Building inspector encouraged me to ask here. Thanks

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report.gif
button at the top right corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.