emerg lighting 2 circuits to one light

Status
Not open for further replies.
A colleague brought 2 circuits to an exterior emergency wall pak for egress lighting. Circuit #2 went to the battery pack (unswitched) and circuit #4 went to the ballast (controlled by photocell).

I know the NEC says you can't do this, but where?

raider1

Staff member
700.12 requires that the unit equipment serving as emergency lighting power must be fed from the same circuit as the normal area lighting.

Chris

Bernard1599

A colleague brought 2 circuits to an exterior emergency wall pak for egress lighting. Circuit #2 went to the battery pack (unswitched) and circuit #4 went to the ballast (controlled by photocell).

If, for whatever reason Circuit #2 opens, then the emergency battery pack?s circuitry will sense this condition and start supplying power to the lamps? ballast at the same time that it is being fed 120 v by circuit # 4 while the photocell is activated. Damage to the fixture will likely occur.

Regards,
Bernard

dejeud

Not sure if the NEC has anything on this, but I'm sure the fire marshal will take exception to that. If #4 trips, and #2 is still on there's no light, pretty simple if you ask me.
I still don't understand why the colleague brought two circuits to begin with if it's a photocell controlled light, take #2 wire the ballast thru the photocell and the emergency pack directly.

chevyx92

Does this exterior emergency wall pack have (2) lamps? If it is a true emergency egress light it will. If there are (2) lamps then I'm willing to bet the setup is fine.

LawnGuyLandSparky

Not sure if the NEC has anything on this, but I'm sure the fire marshal will take exception to that. If #4 trips, and #2 is still on there's no light, pretty simple if you ask me.
I still don't understand why the colleague brought two circuits to begin with if it's a photocell controlled light, take #2 wire the ballast thru the photocell and the emergency pack directly.

How would the fire marshall even know? Do inspectors really ever look into things this forensically? I'd like to know, because after 25 years I've still yet to see a NYC electrical inspector...

dejeud

How would the fire marshall even know? Do inspectors really ever look into things this forensically? I'd like to know, because after 25 years I've still yet to see a NYC electrical inspector...

I had Fire Marshall make me shut down the lights breakers and they wanted see the emergency on. From the wiring description that will not happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.