service

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
no direct "Code" problem, but (ref 230.28) if you are using it as a service support mast some POCOs will not accept.

corona

thanks, and whats a poco? local juris. i spec. also, i dont recall more than a change of shoes for the bender to handle the difference between the imc and the rigid, sound right?

dejeud

any problem with using imc for a residential service?
I'm assuming you're talking overhead service.
If it's a 60A service I wouldn't worry, but if it's 4 parallel of #600 I'd like to use rigid. Keep in mind that the "POCO" uses one of the conduits as anchor for their overhead.

dejeud

Going back a few years from memory but isn't IMC stronger than RMC? The steel being a higher quality if I recall.

Did a quick google and found this. I didn't read it all but there is a reference to service mast superiority over RMC.

Take with a grain of salt as it is basically a sales brochure.

http://www.alliedeg.com/pdf/atc_imc_12p_guide_0704.pdf

I don't know about being a higher quality, but IMC is definitely easier to bend. And I'm talking from personal experience with 1" GRC and IMC as well. With a hand bender. Uphill both ways.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't know about being a higher quality, but IMC is definitely easier to bend. And I'm talking from personal experience with 1" GRC and IMC as well. With a hand bender. Uphill both ways.
IMC is MUCH harder to bend than GRC (RMC). The link that Dave posted will back that up. You must be thinking of Aluminum rigid conduit.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
None of the supply houses I deal with stock IMC. They will special order it if requested. Home Depot in my area only stocks IMC but not GRC. I'm sure they are doing this to make it look like they are selling the same product cheaper.

220/221

any problem with using imc for a residential service?

Yes and no. :roll:

Lots of variables mostly based on your location.

Here, both POCO's now allow IMC for an overhead service.

Status
Not open for further replies.