Switchboard/panelboard question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMB

I have the following issues during the inspection of a480Y/277VAC, 4000A MDP. Where in the code does it say these are violations?

1. Conductors crushed/lying on uninsulated parts of MDP framing.
2. Conductors have sizable nicks/cuts from pulling in.
3. Conductors (insulated) laying against MDP bus work.
4. Conductors not supported exiting conduits to breakers.
5. 450A rated and 600A rated panelboard have 800A MCB's installed.

As usual, thanks for any and all responses.

Last edited:

SMB

Jim, they are not damaged. I have pictures but not with me currently. However, 408.3(A)(1) does state they shall be held firmly in place. Touching the bus and not being secured from the conduit to the breaker seems to violate this.

Jim, they are not damaged. I have pictures but not with me currently. However, 408.3(A)(1) does state they shall be held firmly in place. Touching the bus and not being secured from the conduit to the breaker seems to violate this.

In some cases the rigidity of the wire itself would provide 'securing' between the conduit entrance point to the termination point.

Short circuit bracing maybe required by the panel manufacturer to meet the gear rating.

Conductors 'laying' against other buss, or non-insulated parts. I always wondered about this one since the conductors inside a conduit DO lay against the conduit and fittings' walls as well against each other and against other conductors that may not even be part of the same circuit. We don't do anything against those, because we just simply can't, so why worry about it in the panels and JB's? Granted, these places will experience some tugging and moving around when other circuits needs to be serviced or added, but in reality I doubt that it represents a substantial danger.

Nicks and cuts SHOULD be repaired on the exposed conductors, but again I worry more about what happens inside the conduit. Some of the cuts can also be on the blind-side, but good electricians will check for those. Megger will discover only some of these.

Dave58er

Touching the bus and not being secured from the conduit to the breaker seems to violate (408.3(A)(1)).

Is it 110.3 (B) you cite when a sparky doesn't follow the instructions of the equipment? Because I would bet if you read the literature for this gear you would find some violations.

Here's the language I found in a Siemens instruction book with google:

"Maintain the maximum possible bending radii and proper
clearance to bus bars and grounded parts. If any cables
are lying or bearing on structural members, support them
to relieve this condition or place suitable protective material
at the bearing point to protect the cable insulation." :cool:

Also there may be lashing requirements in the instructions for the service conductors.

You can probably get the instructions on-line if they don't still have them on-site.

Status
Not open for further replies.