Game room red light

Status
Not open for further replies.

malachi

I have a customer who wants his street red light wired for a game room to repeat green, yellow, red, over and over. Is there a easy way to do this? Thanks

480sparky

I'd say the city would be rather upset if they found out he pulled down the street light and drug it into his basement. ;)

gar

Occupation
EE
100412-0811 EST

malachi:

What defines easy?

There are many ways.
A motor driven cam system.
A small PLC.
A small computer.
A large computer.
A neon bulb sequential oscillator plus electronics.
Some flip-flops plus logic.

The computer and to some extent the PLC will allow randomization of timing of the on times.

e57

Programable multi-output/input relay

Make it breakdance to the beat if you really want to...

Since the output is triac - I would suggest having it operate small coiled relays for current and short isolation - just in case....

Attached is a simple diagram an input to start, a flasher timer and a cam sw - reseting to red - cycles R,O,G in equal predetermined seconds....

Your looking at like ~$250+ Depending on where you locate it, and what type of control voltage, how many outputs if you want a display or not etc...

Software is free on line - doesn't take long to figure out - what more is you can change what you want it to do and how it operates or starts... i.e. put some contacts on the beer tap and a counter for when you need to be shut off.... :D Or sound a 10" fire bell and flash the lights for when you should have been shut off some time ago.... :D:D:D

growler

I have a customer who wants his street red light wired for a game room to repeat green, yellow, red, over and over. Is there a easy way to do this? Thanks

I guess they make just about anything you would ever want if you are willing to look for it. Who would have thunk it?

I would have the customer order that kit and then do the installation at an hourly rate it could still take some time. That way there is no warranty on anything but labor.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
In the car wash industry we use a sequencer and a multiplexer to alternate between 3 colors of foam, I've often thought it would work just as well to alternate the three traffic lite lamps.

Last edited:

macmikeman

I have an old classic 2 with Hypercard on it . That could be programmed to drive it. Finding appropriate serial cords to get the ouput out might be a bit of a problem nowadays though.....:cool:

sgunsel

A programmable logic relay would give you lots of options. Cost is $90 for a 120 VAC unit with 6 ac relay inputs and 4 ac relay outputs.

mcclary's electrical

In the car wash industry we use a sequencer and a multiplexer to alternate between 3 colors of foam, I've often thought it would work just as well to alternate the three traffic lite lamps.

That would work, but the traffic light draws more power than a soap solenoid valve. How much current are thay rated for?

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
That would work, but the traffic light draws more power than a soap solenoid valve. How much current are thay rated for?
haven't been around one for a few years to pay attention, but you're probably right, the ones we used were 24 volt. Some of the other posters had simplier solutions that wouldn't require relays controlled by the sequencer.

The multiplexor was to send current to the sequencer, up to 8 inputs and one output, and would not be needed anyway in this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.