using scrap wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Okay.....scenario #2.....new homeowner decides to finish basement with drywall ceiling, and said J-boxes are up in the joist space. . . . Then what?
Then Mike Holmes comes in and points out how many J-boxes his electrician has to eliminate before he can do his work.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Let's say for chits an giggles a few of you in here were going to build yourself a new home ...
Is this what you would really do in your new dream home ???
What better place to use up remnants and leftovers than your own house?

Mismatched recessed can trims and other fixtures makes a powerful fashion statement.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Besides, one of those splice points may come in handy to add a receptacle or lighting circuit later.
As a matter of fact, that happened in our house, which has a suspended ceiling in the basement. When we moved in, I wanted to add 3-ways to the lights in the two main rooms, at each end of a connecting hallway.

Actually, one of the rooms had 3-ways already, because of an exterior door we never use, so a 4-way was in order. When tracing the wires above the ceiling, I found the 3-conductor cables from the switches met at a J-box.

I ran two 14-2's from the new switch location to that box, separated the traveler joints, and tied them right in. It kept me from having to fish down to either existing 3-way. It seemed to work out for me, so splice away!

One-eyed Jack

As a matter of fact, that happened in our house, which has a suspended ceiling in the basement. When we moved in, I wanted to add 3-ways to the lights in the two main rooms, at each end of a connecting hallway.

Actually, one of the rooms had 3-ways already, because of an exterior door we never use, so a 4-way was in order. When tracing the wires above the ceiling, I found the 3-conductor cables from the switches met at a J-box.

I ran two 14-2's from the new switch location to that box, separated the traveler joints, and tied them right in. It kept me from having to fish down to either existing 3-way. It seemed to work out for me, so splice away!

A little off topic but I advocated running travelers by themselves in another post. Boy did I ever get reasons for not doing that.:D The bad em forces are going to tear your house apart.:D

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I meant to post to this thread earlier but I had to work late; all those junction boxes with 8/3 take longer to make up then I thought they would.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The bad em forces are going to tear your house apart.:D
Nope. I ran both 2-conductor cables together from the J-box to the new 4-way switch, so the 'to' and 'from' currents always match, just like in a 2-wire switch loop.

Added: Side note: it's easier to delete the unwanted text like I just did than it is to add color tags.

Last edited:

One-eyed Jack

Nope. I ran both 2-conductor cables together from the J-box to the new 4-way switch, so the 'to' and 'from' currents always match, just like in a 2-wire switch loop.

Added: Side note: it's easier to delete the unwanted text like I just did than it is to add color tags.

How do you get all the quotes from different post? How about the blue shading,does it come automaticly if I get the first part right?

How close is close enough?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How do you get all the quotes from different post?
By clicking on the
multiquote_off.gif
in each post you want to quote, and in whatever order you want them to appear, so it turns
multiquote_on.gif

You can merely hit the
quote.gif
for the last one, and that will bring them all up in one long text submission box.

Then, you can delete whichever text you want to eliminate from each, see a preview, then submit when you're ready.

How about the blue shading,does it come automaticly if I get the first part right?
Yep. Anything between [quote=(member's name);(post number)] and [/quote] will appear within the blue box.

You can add your own text between each [/quote] and the next [quote=(member's name);(post number)].

How close is close enough?
To me, the sheathes touching the whole way is equal to be within the same sheath. There's no reason for them to be apart, even through a 2-cable-approved KO.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
By clicking on the
multiquote_off.gif
in each post you want to quote, and in whatever order you want them to appear, so it turns
multiquote_on.gif

You can merely hit the
quote.gif
for the last one, and that will bring them all up in one long text submission box.

Then, you can delete whichever text you want to eliminate from each, see a preview, then submit when you're ready.

Yep. Anything between will appear within the blue box.

You can add your own text between each [/quote] and the next [quote=(member's name);(post number)].

To me, the sheathes touching the whole way is equal to be within the same sheath. There's no reason for them to be apart, even through a 2-cable-approved KO.

I didn't realize there was a "quote plus" button. I had a much more complicated system.

But yeah, another thing you can do is have a quote within a quote so that everyone else will see why you quoted one post that was in response to another post.

Awg-Dawg

I hope this topic goes on for awhile.

There is some funny stuff in it.

And to put my two cents in......

Count me in on the Sanford and Son side.:D

rodneee

Until this thread I thought I was alone. Now I realize there are others out there just like me. Their courage had inspired me and I'm ready to come out of the closet.

Hi my name is Dave and I'm a splicer.

good luck with your coming out of the closet....you might have to deal a few insults and maybe somebody will call you unprofessional.... but that is nothing like what you would have been exposed to if you came out as a splicer 30 years ago.....back then if you were a known splicer, most supply houses would not serve you at the counter....most employers made you ride in the back of the van....your co workers would laugh and call you names....the list goes on....

satcom

good luck with your coming out of the closet....you might have to deal a few insults and maybe somebody will call you unprofessional.... but that is nothing like what you would have been exposed to if you came out as a splicer 30 years ago.....back then if you were a known splicer, most supply houses would not serve you at the counter....most employers made you ride in the back of the van....your co workers would laugh and call you names....the list goes on....

50 years ago, the guy that did the splicing, was the top dog on the job, making a good splice was an art and they respected anyone that was able to produce a safe and secure splice.

mxslick

50 years ago, the guy that did the splicing, was the top dog on the job, making a good splice was an art and they respected anyone that was able to produce a safe and secure splice.

Very true..ever try to take apart one of those "classic" splices? The guys who did them meant for them to stay together for at least a century.

Very much a lost art..like cable lacing...I'll dig up some pics and post when I find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.