using scrap wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodneee

we normally run 1 continuous 8/3 romex to our new home ovens...we have so much scrap (in varying lengths) i was thinking of making some spliced runs.....are there restrictions in the number of splices we can make??...

SPARKS40

we normally run 1 continuous 8/3 romex to our new home ovens...we have so much scrap (in varying lengths) i was thinking of making some spliced runs.....are there restrictions in the number of splices we can make??...

Why so much scrap? Any wire i consistently use, i keep the minimum size master spool. I don't buy coils, because they create more scrap. As far as the splices, is the AHJ gonna buy into it? Where i'm at, that wouldn't fly. I also wouldn't wanna be the new home owner and see 2 or 3 j-boxes in a wire run and ask myself "What the heck is that??" Even if it's allowed, to me that would not be very good craftsmanship.

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
For the cost of the 6x6s and the labor to make them up you can probably save money by using a new length of wire. You are also introducing more potential failure points. Someone may also see the junctions and decide to tap off for a circuit they need somewhere else.

I would not want to see those JBs on a new job, nor would I install that way.

raider1

Staff member
As far as the splices, is the AHJ gonna buy into it? Where i'm at, that wouldn't fly.

Why would it not fly?

Splices in a circuit are code compliant.

May not be a great design but it would be code compliant.

Chris

peter d

An 8/3 NM cable could easily be spliced in a far less expensive 4 11/16" box using large blue wing nuts (like Ideal 454). Last time I bought one, I paid around $2 for a 4/11 box.

At around a $1 a foot, I would gladly splice a #8 or #6 cable if I had long pieces lying around. It's not "unprofessional" at all contrary to some of the opinions offered here.

zog

At around a $1 a foot, I would gladly splice a #8 or #6 cable if I had long pieces lying around. It's not "unprofessional" at all contrary to some of the opinions offered here.
Really? Using scrap wire you have laying around and splicing it to save a few bucks when I am sure you quoted the job based on using new wire is not unprofessional? Every splice is a potential failure point.

quogueelectric

A professional can splice a feeder in a jbox where the splice is probably the LEAST likely point of failure in the circuit. The manufacturers make splices in their product without jboxes. I know I can do better than some of the manufacturers splices I have seen...........

jumper

Really? Using scrap wire you have laying around and splicing it to save a few bucks when I am sure you quoted the job based on using new wire is not unprofessional? Every splice is a potential failure point.
Sorry Zog,

I gotta disagree. Splices are perfectly legal and are not unprofessional when done correctly.

Every inch of any wire is a potential failure point, splice or no splice.

I understand your reasoning; but, I cannot agree.

hardworkingstiff

You can probably sell the scrap for 1/3 of what new cost. The perception your customer will have of you will be much more expensive than the money you save, unless you pass the savings on to the customer (then what's the benefit to you?). Splice points are more points for failure. While it would be code compliant, IMO it is second class work.

stevenje

[/QUOTE]At around a $1 a foot, I would gladly splice a #8 or #6 cable if I had long pieces lying around. It's not "unprofessional" at all contrary to some of the opinions offered here.[/QUOTE]

How do you explain the splice boxes to the new homeowner?

Does it go something like this? "Yeah, I had some scrap wiring laying around the shop so I thought I'd splice a few of them together to wire up your new range in your brand new house." It sounds unprofessional to me.

Last edited:

zog

I gotta disagree. Splices are perfectly legal and are not unprofessional when done correctly.

Every inch of any wire is a potential failure point, splice or no splice..

They are perfectly legal in MV systems too. But 99% of MV cable failures I have seen were all at splices or terminations.

The point to me is not the splicing really, the issue I have is selling a job based on material costs for bew wire and then using a bunch of scrap to do the job. To me that is underhanded and far from professional. I suppose you do not chage the customer for new wire when using scrap? Do they gat a "scrap discount" or do you just pocket the money they paid for new wire?

I would hope there would be some insulation testing done after such a job.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The point to me is not the splicing really, the issue I have is selling a job based on material costs for bew wire and then using a bunch of scrap to do the job. To me that is underhanded and far from professional. I suppose you do not chage the customer for new wire when using scrap? Do they gat a "scrap discount" or do you just pocket the money they paid for new wire?

I would hope there would be some insulation testing done after such a job.

I think you need to understand the difference between scrap and used, the OP never said he was using used wire, it is left over new wire.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.