using scrap wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

Many are talking about using scrap wire as a savings to the contractor. I don't see it as a savings. A new cable is say a buck a foot. The scrap (which is new cable) cost the same price. It is simply what was left on the reel. It's only scrap wire while it is on the way to the junkie.

You could argue that to not splice he has to go out and buy more cable, thereby increasing his cost, but as long as the "scrap" gets used some day there was no increase in the contractors cost. It's just more inventory.

laketime

You could sell the "scrap" new wire to the customer as a green building solution and charge them more for it.:grin:

zog

I think you need to understand the difference between scrap and used, the OP never said he was using used wire, it is left over new wire.

Roger

Being stored how? For how long? Being exposed to what?

Again, I doubt the quote says "Spliced scrap wire". That is mis-representaion and a shady business practice.

mcclary's electrical

In this instance, I would never make the homeowner look at blnk plates for the rest of their life,,,,just so I cold use up my short pieces. Never

With that being said,,,,,use your scraps for a crawl space or attic job where no one sees it.:grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How long are these "remnants" (as the carpet industry uses)? If it's long enough that the run doesn't look like "connect-the-dots," there's going be a job one day where it will be long enough to use in one piece.

I agree it's legal, I agree it reeks of amaturism, and I agree that I'd do it in a heartbeat if, for example, I had a 35' run, only two 20' pieces, the box could be in the crawl or attic, and that's all I have left to do.

I don't like it, but we have to weigh the costs (money and otherwise) of each option when making these choice. If it were a no-brainer, we wouldn't be discussing it. We all agree on some thing, and not on others.

Thank goodness! :)

rodneee

so funny

so funny

Just tell them you are doing your part toward green construction and saving the planet.

your reply is so funny it might work......leave a magnet on the panel with your name, logo, phone #, etc and a similar message........."CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW HOME FROM ALL OF US AT JOHN DOE ELECTRIC... WE WANT THANK YOU FOR SELECTING OUR FIRM... YOU MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE ESPECIALLY IF YOU CARE ABOUT OUR PLANET.......THE FACT THAT WE RECYCLE OUR SCRAP WIRE MAKES US STAND OUT ABOVE OTHER ELECTRICIANS AS WE STRIVE FOR THE ULTIMATE IN GREEN CONSTRUCTION....MOST ELECTRICIANS WON'T RECYCLE THEIR SCRAP WIRE.. THEY CITE THE INCREASED LABOR COST OF MAKING MULTIPLE SPLICE BOX CONNECTIONS...WHY DOES THIS MATTER YOU ASK??....IT MATTERS BECAUSE OF WHAT EVENTUALLY HAPPENS TO ALL WIRE THAT DOES NOT GET RECYCLED...IT ENDS UP AT THE LOCAL INCINERATOR WHERE IT IS BURNED...UNFORTUNATELY THESE FUMES FROM THE WIRE INSULATION ARE AS DEADLY AS ANY CHEMICAL FUMES KNOW TO MAN....THANKS AGAIN FOR PARTNERING WITH US TO HELP SAVE OUR PLANET....

iwire

Staff member

Sometimes you say some really funny stuff.:grin:

Earth to Zog, we store a lot of building wire and use it when we can, it does not have a freshness date and does not go rancid. :)

Again, I doubt the quote says "Spliced scrap wire". That is mis-representaion and a shady business practice.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with using left over wire from one job for the next job.

I personally would not install extra junctions on a new job just so I could use up some 8/3 AL or 6/3 AL but certainly would if it was 600 copper and the specs did not prohibit splices.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
So you automatically assume the worst. Let me assure you that there are multitudes of new rolls of wire being carried around in the back of pickup trucks for months that will be installed in new construction so you shouldn't worry too much about some new scrap wire being stored in a shed or warehouse.

Again, I doubt the quote says "Spliced scrap wire".
Why should it if it's new wire? I have a number of 1000' spools of 500 XHHW with tails ranging from 100' to 300' left on them after we pulled in the neighborhood of 100 service raceways and you can bet I will use this new scrap wire inside for feeders since the specifications allow splicing conductors inside the building.

That is mis-representaion and a shady business practice.
How do you figure this is mis-representation and shady business? It's new scrap wire and there is no prohibition in splicing conductors.

If a project specifications specifically prohibit splicing conductors I would take it into consideration when quoting the project, otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to use scrap (not used) wire.

Roger

ty

if this is on new home construction, builders only care that it meets code.
if a splice meets code, it's fine.

I don't like any splices that don't have to be there, but if the OP has a code compliant job, then use it up.

The whole house is full of splice boxes anyway. Receptacle boxes, switch boxes, lighing boxes... full of splices everywhere.
You just happen to see this one.
There's even a splice in an a/c line if you think about it. But instead of wire nuts, it's splices onto terminal lugs.

electricmanscott

your reply is so funny it might work......leave a magnet on the panel with your name, logo, phone #, etc and a similar message........."CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW HOME FROM ALL OF US AT JOHN DOE ELECTRIC... WE WANT THANK YOU FOR SELECTING OUR FIRM... YOU MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE ESPECIALLY IF YOU CARE ABOUT OUR PLANET.......THE FACT THAT WE RECYCLE OUR SCRAP WIRE MAKES US STAND OUT ABOVE OTHER ELECTRICIANS AS WE STRIVE FOR THE ULTIMATE IN GREEN CONSTRUCTION....MOST ELECTRICIANS WON'T RECYCLE THEIR SCRAP WIRE.. THEY CITE THE INCREASED LABOR COST OF MAKING MULTIPLE SPLICE BOX CONNECTIONS...WHY DOES THIS MATTER YOU ASK??....IT MATTERS BECAUSE OF WHAT EVENTUALLY HAPPENS TO ALL WIRE THAT DOES NOT GET RECYCLED...IT ENDS UP AT THE LOCAL INCINERATOR WHERE IT IS BURNED...UNFORTUNATELY THESE FUMES FROM THE WIRE INSULATION ARE AS DEADLY AS ANY CHEMICAL FUMES KNOW TO MAN....THANKS AGAIN FOR PARTNERING WITH US TO HELP SAVE OUR PLANET....

My eyes just exploded.

electricmanscott

An 8/3 NM cable could easily be spliced in a far less expensive 4 11/16" box using large blue wing nuts (like Ideal 454). Last time I bought one, I paid around $2 for a 4/11 box.

At around a $1 a foot, I would gladly splice a #8 or #6 cable if I had long pieces lying around. It's not "unprofessional" at all contrary to some of the opinions offered here.

Don't you come all walking in here with your common sense and reasonable logic.

I still have white 10/2 that I use occasionally.

I'm so bad ass that I have ZZ Top blasting in the background at all times. :cool:

mxslick

Wow. After reading all the different perspectives, I agree with the following:

If the wire is not used but was leftovers from new stock, use it and don't need to discount the price, it still cost you the same from the beginning;

How it was stored matters, if it was damaged or water-soaked then don't use it;

If it is a matter of one of maybe two splices to complete the run, I see no problem at all. Now if you are talking about using a bunch of 2-3 foot pieces to make up a run that is stupid and not very professional, even if the Code allows all those splices.

I agree with Bob that in the case of 6/3 or 8/3 cable, cheaper and more efficient to just buy enough to do the run in one piece. The heavier conductors he mentioned sure thing, splice away.

WinZip

In MHO the home owner paid for a complete new circuit from point A to point B without splice , at least he thinks he has.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
In MHO the home owner paid for a complete new circuit from point A to point B without splice , at least he thinks he has.

Then the customer should clarify this before the proposal is accepted and the work starts.

Roger

WinZip

Then the customer should clarify this before the proposal is accepted and the work starts.

Roger

Do you put that in your Quote/Proposal that if needed you will splice conductors in an attic or crawl so that you can use up left over cable ??

zog

Sometimes you say some really funny stuff.:grin:

Earth to Zog, we store a lot of building wire and use it when we can, it does not have a freshness date and does not go rancid. :)

Well I live in the power system world where we don't do that sort of thing. When you have an open end of a cable moisture will creep in and will eventually develop into water trees and then electrical trees, causing insulation failure. If cables are exposed to a moist environment they need to be pruged with nitrogen bewfore installation. Guess that shows why guys who do residential (And would use spliced scraps) have no place installing power cables.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with using left over wire from one job for the next job.

I naver said it was illegal or a code violation, just that it was unprofessional.

I have asked this already but everyone ignored me so I will ask again. Would you do an insulation resistance test on this spliced scrap wire? Do you test any wire you install?

What about everyone else?

By my count I am not alone here, about half of the people responding think this is an unprofessional practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.