More than 42 circuit panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnbob

Square D has panelboards available up to 84 circuits, I believe. I don't think too much of them, as I am not sure there is enough space to bring in that many conduits, especially with 1 neutral to every "hot". I would still use double tubs for most applications, unless maybe they are filled with smaller 3 phase loads.

Bob

I haven't see it yet in Wisconsin { sorry I am stuck in France for pretty long term working vaction here :cool: }

But just keep in your mind some states may still have local codes may override the NEC codes related to the 42 circuit.

Now speaking of oringal story start from a theatre centre got too many conductors in there and got overheated and start the fire.

{ I think that how it got enforced with 42 circuit rules if I am wrong let me know }

Merci,Marc

kwired

Electron manager
Square D has panelboards available up to 84 circuits, I believe. I don't think too much of them, as I am not sure there is enough space to bring in that many conduits, especially with 1 neutral to every "hot". I would still use double tubs for most applications, unless maybe they are filled with smaller 3 phase loads.

Bob
If you are only using top or bottom Ko's you definately need to use more than two poles per KO. not easy to do with NM cable or MC cable. With raceways it is probably not much a problem as long as you use at least 3-6 poles per raceway.

mcclary's electrical

If you are only using top or bottom Ko's you definately need to use more than two poles per KO. not easy to do with NM cable or MC cable. With raceways it is probably not much a problem as long as you use at least 3-6 poles per raceway.

double barrel connector, 12/4 mc 6 poles per ko

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I can hardly wait to start doing service changes on 60-84 circuit cans!!

I need at least 60 circuits in an office I'm redoing, I decided I'd rather install a couple of cheap 30/40's than try to fight that many circuits into one 60+ circuit can. That is, if Siemens even made one that big....

kbsparky

I have a 60-space monster panel here waiting for the right job to install it on.

It's a Square D type QO panel. ;)

I'll see if I can upload a picture of it later this week. :D

kbsparky

Here is the Square D 60 space monster panel. Our Canadian friends will notice the blast shield located over the mains area. I always wondered what those notches were for in the enclosure can. Now I know they are to hold that shield in place.

Attachments

• MonsterPanel.JPG
    MonsterPanel.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 0

kwired

Electron manager
It is good to see they added extra neutral terminals. I have had 40 circuit pretty well full many times especially if service panel and equipment grounds are landed on neutral bar.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes, 2 extra neutral bars, as well as 2 ground bars. And, a grounding lug at the top (did you catch that?)

I am guessing that is only included in those canada models with the line shield so you do not have to try to get the supply grounding conductor past the shield. (I did see it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.