Failed CO Because of A Bad Tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

360Youth

Got a call Friday morning from a job foreman to say that we failed CO on a new home. Inspector said that most of the receptacles upstairs and about half downstairs had an open ground. In my mind I am thinking that is a lot but ok. I would go check it out. My first thought is a bad tester, but it was only some of the receptacles that failed. After running several scenarios through my head on the way over there I get there and plug my tester in and all is good. Check a few more. Good. Put meter leads on device terminals. Good. Had foreman plug in a saw and check against terminals with a load. Good. I figure inspector has a plug tester with intermittent working lamps. He comes back this morning with a new tester, passes, apologizes, and moves on. :roll: I can't say this is the first time have dealt with an inspector and a bad tester, but I would hope there would be some sort of back up plan, or a red flag might make him think to try a different tester. I was not there for re-inspect this morning. he was in and out before GC could get me down there.

mcclary's electrical

Got a call Friday morning from a job foreman to say that we failed CO on a new home. Inspector said that most of the receptacles upstairs and about half downstairs had an open ground. In my mind I am thinking that is a lot but ok. I would go check it out. My first thought is a bad tester, but it was only some of the receptacles that failed. After running several scenarios through my head on the way over there I get there and plug my tester in and all is good. Check a few more. Good. Put meter leads on device terminals. Good. Had foreman plug in a saw and check against terminals with a load. Good. I figure inspector has a plug tester with intermittent working lamps. He comes back this morning with a new tester, passes, apologizes, and moves on. :roll: I can't say this is the first time have dealt with an inspector and a bad tester, but I would hope there would be some sort of back up plan, or a red flag might make him think to try a different tester. I was not there for re-inspect this morning. he was in and out before GC could get me down there.

I got a call from an inspector this morning. She is a brand spanking new inspector cutting her teeth. She call and said she cannot get into my panel to inspect. I asked her if she removed the screws,,,,she says all she had is a dime and they're too tight:mad: I had to drive twenty minutes to take the panel cover off. I gave her a 10 n 1:roll:

jumper

I got a call from an inspector this morning. She is a brand spanking new inspector cutting her teeth. She call and said she cannot get into my panel to inspect. I asked her if she removed the screws,,,,she says all she had is a dime and they're too tight:mad: I had to drive twenty minutes to take the panel cover off. I gave her a 10 n 1:roll:

Down here we have to on site and remove our own covers at all times.
We have to also provide a ladder, if necessary, for inspection.

mcclary's electrical

Down here we have to on site and remove our own covers at all times.
We have to also provide a ladder, if necessary, for inspection.

This county has a "no live cover to be removed" law, but this panel was not energized,:mad: heck there isn't even a pole within 500 feet. It's in the middle of a field.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

He apologized. We all make mistakes.

I bet your next inspection will go smooth because of this mistake.

Article 90.1

I disagree with letting an inspector, or another tradesperson for that matter use one of our ladders. Who will be liable when someone misses a step? Now in all practicality, the inspector is welcome to use our ladder...I just don;t agree with it.

mcclary's electrical

Which county? I've not heard of that one.

Larry, I've never seen it in writing. For as long as I can remember,,,this county has always said they WILL NOT remove a live panel cover, and I have witnessed first hand them refuse to inspect because the cover is on and nobody around. I'm not sure if the written version actually exist.

It was Louisa County

shepelec

I always pull panel covers. You'd be amazed at what I have found "hiding" behind a cover.:roll:

Most recently, a neutral lug tek screwed to the back of the box. Wish I had a picture of that one.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
For as long as I can remember,,,this county has always said they WILL NOT remove a live panel cover, and I have witnessed first hand them refuse to inspect because the cover is on and nobody around.
Oh, you mean the inspector won't remove the cover, not that you can't. Duh! :roll:

kwired

Electron manager
Larry, I've never seen it in writing. For as long as I can remember,,,this county has always said they WILL NOT remove a live panel cover, and I have witnessed first hand them refuse to inspect because the cover is on and nobody around. I'm not sure if the written version actually exist.

It was Louisa County

Will the same inspector still put their hand inside the panel to check conductor sizes or whatever without proper protective equipment?

billsnuff

I once shot an elephant walking in my pajamas........
l_08a1bd63431440aa13a239da113c36b3.jpg

:D:D:D

Ohmy

Oh, you mean the inspector won't remove the cover, not that you can't. Duh! :roll:

I've had inspectors tell me its unsafe to inspect a panel thats live even if I take the cover off for them....heheh. If a licensed electrician can't take the cover off a single phase 200A panel when its hot who can?

Status
Not open for further replies.