Hospital grade receptacles in exam rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi all,
We just finished wiring a small medical clinic that has six doctor's exam rooms, and seven dental chairs. My inspector told me that the receptacles in the exam rooms, and the dental chair rooms need to have hospital grade receptacles as per NEC 517.18 (B). I disagree with him, but I want to get everyone else's take on this before I start to argue.

517.18(B) refers to 'patient bed location' receptacles. A patient bed location is defined in 517.2 as "The location of a patient sleeping bed, or the bed or procedure table of a critical care area." There is NO sleeping bed in any of these rooms (just the exam table and dental chair), therefore, I feel that hospital grade receptacles aren't required.

I've wired many dental/doctor's clinics in the past, and have never had this issue.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Andrew (buzzbar)

Volta

... There is NO sleeping bed in any of these rooms (just the exam table and dental chair), therefore, I feel that hospital grade receptacles aren't required...

I agree with your interpretation. If not a sleeping or critical care area, "hospital grade" receptacles are not required.

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I guess it depends if the dental chair is considered 'critical care'. I searched the archives, and it seems to me that the general consensus is that they are NOT considered critical care areas.

Thanks.

rcarroll

I guess it depends if the dental chair is considered 'critical care'. I searched the archives, and it seems to me that the general consensus is that they are NOT considered critical care areas.

Thanks.
I absolutely hate dental work. So for me, it is critical care.:D However, I agree, hospital grade receps are not required.

raider1

Staff member
If nitrous oxide is used in any of those areas then hospital grade receptacles are required in accordance with 517.61(C)(2) for other than hazardous anesthetizing locations.

Chris

jamesoftn

Hosp. Grade Rec. is for Patient bed and Anestetizing locations. This is patient care area and not required by code.

raider1

Staff member
Hosp. Grade Rec. is for Patient bed and Anestetizing locations. This is patient care area and not required by code.

Maybe, but the dental chairs may be equipped with nitrous oxide and therefore the area around the dental chairs would also be an anesthetizing location.

Chris

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just an FYI, the inspector agreed with me that they do NOT need to have hospital grade receptacles. However, the exam room 'tables' say that "to assure proper grounding, this table needs to be plugged into a receptacle that is marked 'hospital grade' ". The general purpose receptacles AND the dental chairs were fine with standard receptacles.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
If nitrous oxide is used in any of those areas then hospital grade receptacles are required in accordance with 517.61(C)(2) for other than hazardous anesthetizing locations.

Chris

That's an interesting comment. I never thought about "laughing gas" being considered an anesthetic.

Wikipedia says nitrous oxide is used as an anesthetic and as an analgesic. I'm not sure if there is any difference in the definition of those two terms. But I do wonder if there might be a difference between using nitrous to actually put someone to sleep, and just using it to relax someone.

The thing that really has me confused is that nitrous is specifically listed under "flammable anesthetics" (due to its "reactive" nature), but the handbook states that there are no flammable anesthetics used in the United States anymore.

Steve

raider1

Staff member
That's an interesting comment. I never thought about "laughing gas" being considered an anesthetic.

Wikipedia says nitrous oxide is used as an anesthetic and as an analgesic. I'm not sure if there is any difference in the definition of those two terms. But I do wonder if there might be a difference between using nitrous to actually put someone to sleep, and just using it to relax someone.

The thing that really has me confused is that nitrous is specifically listed under "flammable anesthetics" (due to its "reactive" nature), but the handbook states that there are no flammable anesthetics used in the United States anymore.

Steve

Nitrous oxide is a relative analgesic. The Article 517 definition of anesthetizing location includes the use of such agents for relative analgesia.

Here are the 2 NEC definitions.

Anesthetizing Location. Any area of a facility that has been designated to be used for the administration of any flammable or nonflammable inhalation anesthetic agent in the course of examination or treatment, including the use of such agents for relative analgesia.

Relative Analgesia. A state of sedation and partial block of pain perception produced in a patient by the inhalation of concentrations of nitrous oxide insufficient to produce loss of consciousness (conscious sedation).

I find that 517.61(C)(2) and 517.63(A) are often missed for dental exam rooms that utilize nitrous oxide.

Chris

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Nitrous oxide is a relative analgesic. The Article 517 definition of anesthetizing location includes the use of such agents for relative analgesia.

Chris

Yes, now I see that in the definition. The handbook has a comment which doesn't do much to clear things up. It says the requirements for anesthetising locations and "the provisions of Part IV are not intended to apply to the administering of analgesic or local anesthetics, such as might be used in minor medical or dental procedures."

But then it goes on to talk about "relative analgesia". It says that is often used by "oral surgons", and the requirments of Part IV would apply.

That makes it as clear as mud.

Steve

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Thanks.

The handbook.....yes, I know its not "the code", but I assume its authors have some additional insight into both the intent, and the history behind the rules we see in the NEC......

Anyhow, the handbook states that is is up the the facility to determine what areas are considered critical care. That makes sense to me because they have a better understanding into the types of procedures that will be preformed in a certain area, and a better understanding of the risks.

The problem, of course, is getting a facility to determine this is usually difficult, if not impossible. Its often easier to just label any area that might be critical care as critical care.

Steve

Volta

It is also possible that the governing body may at some time in the future decide to use nitrous in a dental office previously wired correctly, forgetting that some electrician asked way back when if it was intended to be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.