Jobsite stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I always have a problem after I finish a large multi million dollor project where I work 6-7 days a week and when finished go back to 40 regular hours. I call it post project distress. Does anybody else experiance this?

Around here we go back to zero hours per week when the job is finished.

There are far more electricians in Michigan than there are jobs to keep them working.

I always have had a sense of loss when a job I liked, with people I liked, was completed. Even back in the day when we were all working. Many of those jobs have provided some great friends that I still keep in contact with.

I really never missed the jobs with overtime probably because every one of them was in really miserable conditions.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Sounds like they have something that works for them, but you are not comfortable with.

I suggest you make peace with their system while you are working with them, or find a way out of working with them.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I always have a problem after I finish a large multi million dollor project where I work 6-7 days a week and when finished go back to 40 regular hours. I call it post project distress. Does anybody else experiance this?

I used to. I one time worked 63 straight days many of them 12 hours or more. Suddenly I had a bunch of free time, and I would find myself pacing the house and just looking for something to do, and I couldn't sleep because my mind wouldn't shut off.

I figured out that as long as I was doing something and feeling good about myself I was fine, but when I was sitting around I started to feel guilty.

On the comment about not being stressed out, I believe that's true. I was doing a job one time and the job superintendent goat all pissy with my crew because we were laughing and having a good time. He figured that if we weren't all stressed out and serious we couldn't be getting anything done. Right in front of God and everyone I called him out on it and told him, "listen, when my crew is laughing and scratching and having a good time, you leave them alone, because it means everything is going fine. On the other hand if you show up and I'm screaming and hollering at everyone, then you'll know that there's something to worry about.":)

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
It's a sad fact that many of our fellow electricians and people in general are not mature adults. A lot of Joe Six Packs, a few crackheads, high school dropouts, foul mouths, dirty and ragged. Basically uncivilized. Also some who will sabotage you every chance they get. When I've been in crews like that, I tried to work alone as much as possible. If 1 guy wasn't as bad as others, might hang with him a bit. Sometimes we must bend a bit for situations, but I draw the line at sloppy work. The same guy pushing you to cut corners today will be trashing you for it tomorrow. Sometimes we can drop a few details such as turning all screws vertically, etc. But everything should be secure and safe.

satcom

Sometimes we can drop a few details such as turning all screws vertically, etc. But everything should be secure and safe.

Turning a screw to a vertical position may either leave you with a loose screw or over tight screw, good craft work is not judged from screw positions, all vertical screws on switch plates will not usually cause a problem, but on a breaker lug, it can create trouble.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Satcom, are you seriously telling me you didn't understand my point? You know full well that device plate screws and panel cover screws can usually be tweaked to vertical or horizontal and still be snug. This is the kind of detail many of us like to address, but can be safely dropped if we must go along to get along. I was not talking about breaker lugs. My statement spoke for itself, or it should have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.