alex_713

Here's what I have that the inspector shot down:
4580870769_a069a8b5a5_o.jpg
4581508126_eb90c1ce42_o.jpg

4580879287_869062fd7f_o.jpg
4580879317_a953e3edf9_o.jpg

This is the reason we didn't put the panels on the exterior wall:
4581508066_ab27b0a4d8_o.jpg

And this is a sketch done by the homeowner after the chief inspector told him what he should do:
4581538354_4c479e680d_b.jpg

I'm not even going to mention any of the rediculous things he said that go along with this.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Firstly, I hope you are not planning sheetrock on the basement walls because of that LB.

Secondly, art.230.70(A)(1) calls for the disconnects to be readily accessible nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors. Some jurisdictions will allow 10' some 15' while others demand the disconnects on the outside of the building.

The sketch makes me thing the panels must be on the outside in that area. Check and see if they have an amendment to 230.70

This is too bad since your work looks nice and neat. At this point the easiest fix to to add the discos outside.

In my jurisdiction we have a lot of old services with the meter socket on the exterior and the main disconnect/fuseholder on the opposite side of the garage wall. The way I see it the nearest point of entrance into the building is immediately upon entry into the building. Our fire dept may be ammending code to have main disconnect on exterior to facilitate easy locating and shut off of power to building without the need to go in the building.

alex_713

At this point the easiest fix to to add the discos outside.

That's what I reccommended to the homeowner but he was trying to stay away from the extra clutter outside. We've decided to move the meter to the other side of the door in the pics and feed straight through the wall into (2) 200A FDC's inside, then just run SE cable over to the panels from above. I really hate that it came to this though and I think the AHJ's were just being stubborn.

alex_713

Firstly, I hope you are not planning sheetrock on the basement walls because of that LB.

The panels are actually surface mounted on a wall that will be filled with foam (on the back side). The studs you see were added to add a cover over the wires and such.

But now the LB won't be there at all. So it's okay.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I only ask because it's a reigonal thing.

If you are installing a can that big just for the meter, can't you find a meter/main about the same size?

RB1

Don,

According to your interpretation would it be allowed to turn a service conduit up from the slab and rise to a service disconnect mounted three feet above the slab?

peter d

My sentiments exactly. Which only makes me think he (chief city inspector) doesn't know what he is talking about and they should have OK'd the original setup to begin with.

Which would make the trough unnecesarry too. He is actually saying you need to do this, and that you can't just pipe directly from the meter can into each panel? :confused:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Don,

According to your interpretation would it be allowed to turn a service conduit up from the slab and rise to a service disconnect mounted three feet above the slab?

I don't know who Don is but around here that would be acceptable. Each area has their own interpretation of 230.90.

alex_713

Which would make the trough unnecesarry too. He is actually saying you need to do this, and that you can't just pipe directly from the meter can into each panel? :confused:

That's what the AHJ told the homeower. But since then, the homeowner has ran the new idea we came up with by the AHJ and he accepted it (after quietly talking to someone else on the other end of the phone).

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Don,

I don't see any allowance in the code for that.

alex_713

This is what we ended up changing it to:
4595356195_68e2f0bb99_b.jpg

Notice how the POCO showed up the day we moved the meter and ran the wire from the tap can to where the meter was. (Apparently they have an employee that drives around looking to see who has their meter up so they can run wire to it, without the owner's knowledge).

4595355395_88f5c7160e_b.jpg

Not very pretty.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Look's to me that the panels are farther away from the meter/disconnect by the way the feeder cables are routed.
The problem was there were no disco's before the mains in the panels, so there was a "nearest point of entry" dispute.

The meter enclosure does not contain any disco's. The new cables between the new disco's and the panels are SER's.

Added: The panels' main breakers have been rendered redundant, and have become a now-unnecessary expense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.