3 phase in residential?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayjong

customer wants to change service to 3 phase. i don't see anything prohibiting this in residential, but i haven't ever seen it before. just want to make sure i'm not missing anything...
05 nec...

thanks!

iwire

Staff member
Fine with the NEC, but the power company may say no or if they say yes they may expect the customer to pay all the additional expenses to bring 3 phase to that location.

I would not waste a moment of time on this before talking with the power company.

mayjong

thanks for the quick response...
i'll send him to the poco.
i was under the impression this would cost alot of $$$... oh well...

480sparky

It will cost hundreds if not thousands to have 3 phase. Is he doing commercial work in a residence ? First stop is poco and i bet a burrito they turn him down

I've run across one house with three phase in my career. Old guy was retired and did woodworking as a hobby. His entire shop was 3-ph tools. POCO didn't run 3ph just for him, though.... it was already available in the alley.

Also, with the availability of drives, couldn't you have a drive that accepts single phase input power and have the machines that required three-phase wired into the drive? I mean, it's really just an AC-DC-3 phase AC converter. I can't imagine how many pieces of equipment they would have that would be 3 phase.

calhaz

I have a milling machine that is 3 phase. The VFD to hook it up cost a $118. Plus gives additional speed control. works great.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I've done several that were three phase, one was even 480 volt! The big disadvantage is even if it is available, the POCO up here charges more per KWH for three phase, I had a warehouse owner change the service to single phase to get the cheaper rate. It was a garment manufacturing building previously, and now the only load was lighting. (delta service, so almost nothing changed, other than the POCO taking down two transformers, and changing the meter.)

mayjong

POCO says they will provide it, so i guess they're going to go for it...

so i guess somebody owes me a burrito...

Status
Not open for further replies.