Non-USA Equipment Hook-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the NEC require that any equipment or product that is connected to the electrical system by "Listed / Labeled" by a NRTL (i.e.- UL, ETL, CSA, etc)?

Is the electrical responsible for checking / verifying the item is "Listed or Labeled"?

What if owner provides the lighting fixtures, which are imported and have no "markings".

Likewise, industrial & manufacturing equipment that is brought into the USA for installation in a facility in the USA.

Must the product, item or equipment be "Listed / Labeled" before it can be hooked-up or installed?

As I understand it some manufacturing equipment is "one-of-a-kind" and would not have a single UL Listing that would cover the equipment. However some of it's individual components could fall under a UL Catagorie (i.e. motors, controls, etc.).

I look forward to your response & thanks.

I appreciate your responses.

iwire

Staff member
There is no general NEC rule that requires all products to be listed. The NEC does require listing on certain products, for example lighting fixtures must all be listed.

That said the AHJ gets final approval and they can refuse to accept pretty much any equipment.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Does the NEC require that any equipment or product that is connected to the electrical system by "Listed / Labeled" by a NRTL (i.e.- UL, ETL, CSA, etc)?

A few it does. But not many.

Is the electrical responsible for checking / verifying the item is "Listed or Labeled"?

IMO, only if the code or some other requirement says the item has to be listed.

What if owner provides the lighting fixtures, which are imported and have no "markings".

I think lighting fixtures are one of the few items that are required to be listed. I am not sure that a listed product is required to be labeled as such though.

Likewise, industrial & manufacturing equipment that is brought into the USA for installation in a facility in the USA.

In general, such equipment is not listed. The control panels for them often are, but not the actual equipment.

Must the product, item or equipment be "Listed / Labeled" before it can be hooked-up or installed?

Nothing prevents someone from installing such a device. Whether the AHJ accepts it as approved or not is something else.

As I understand it some manufacturing equipment is "one-of-a-kind" and would not have a single UL Listing that would cover the equipment. However some of it's individual components could fall under a UL Catagorie (i.e. motors, controls, etc.).

Motors are not commonly listed. Control components usually are listed or recognized.

It would appear the biggest issue here is the lighting fixtures.

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
110.2 states that the conductors and equipment required or permitted by this code shall be acceptable only if approved.

A listing by an NRTL helps an AHJ to determine whether or not a piece of equipment meets the requirements of the code, and therefore helps with determining approval of equipment.

This is no way means that all equipment needs to be listed.

Equipment listed to the European standards (CE listed) does not necessarily mean the equipment has been evaluated to the same standards as equipment listed for use in the US.

Chris

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Equipment listed to the European standards (CE listed) does not necessarily mean the equipment has been evaluated to the same standards as equipment listed for use in the US.

Chris

CE is not a listing like UL or ETL.

It only means that the manufacturer certifies that the equipment meets all the applicable requirements for use in EU countries.

raider1

Staff member
CE is not a listing like UL or ETL.

It only means that the manufacturer certifies that the equipment meets all the applicable requirements for use in EU countries.

Agreed, I should have said CE marked not listed thanks.

A CE mark only means the manufacture self certifies that their equipment meets the European standards. There is no 3 party inspection and testing of CE products.

Chris

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Agreed, I should have said CE marked not listed thanks.

A CE mark only means the manufacture self certifies that their equipment meets the European standards.
Correct.

There is no 3 party inspection and testing of CE products.

Many products that are labeled CE are tested by 3rd parties, and often you find their marks on the products as well as the CE label. but only the manufacturer can apply the CE label.

NEC Section 110.2, 110.3A, 110.3B probably apply.

Also it appears OSHA has some requirement on foreign equipment used in the USA where it must comply with NRTL requirements under certain conditions / classifications.

Below are some links if you want to know more - - -

Frequently Asked questions regarding OSHA / NRTL - - -

http://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/faq_nrtl.html

Type of Products Requiring NRTL Approval

http://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/prodcatg.html

Electrical conductors or equipment
(See Listing of Specific References under 1910.303 and 1910.307).

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
NEC Section 110.2, 110.3A, 110.3B probably apply.

Also it appears OSHA has some requirement on foreign equipment used in the USA where it must comply with NRTL requirements under certain conditions / classifications.

Below are some links if you want to know more - - -

Frequently Asked questions regarding OSHA / NRTL - - -

http://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/faq_nrtl.html

Type of Products Requiring NRTL Approval

http://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/prodcatg.html

Electrical conductors or equipment
(See Listing of Specific References under 1910.303 and 1910.307).

You changed the question. Your original question was about the NEC. Now it has shifted to OSHA.

Whatever requirements OSHA has, they apply equally to domestically or foreign produced equipment.

I do not believe an EC has any responsibility under normal circumstances to deal with OSHA requirements for the equipment being installed.

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Welcome to the wonderful world of NRTL. I am currently one of the inspectors on a German auto plant being built in TN with equipment from everywhere..... each day is a new NRTL challange.

The question remains unchanged - the NEC refers to other codes (NFPA), agencies (AHJ) & documents. All the AHJ I have encountered basically defer to a NRTL "labeling or listing" or want to see some similar "certification".

NEC 100- Approved (in the NEC Handbook) also refers to NFPA 79- Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery for evaluations.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
What question remains "unchanged" ?

Your original question dealt with the NEC requiring a NRTL listing and that was answered ("in some cases, but not all").
The NEC requires condcutors and equipment to the "Approved", an AHJ function.
OSHA and many jurisdictions require NRTL but there is often a "back door" for one-of-a-kind equipment.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The question remains unchanged - the NEC refers to other codes (NFPA), agencies (AHJ) & documents. All the AHJ I have encountered basically defer to a NRTL "labeling or listing" or want to see some similar "certification".
As often as not they will also accept a manufacturer's statement.

NEC 100- Approved (in the NEC Handbook) also refers to NFPA 79- Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery for evaluations.

The handbook is not enforcable. In any case it's not as if any NRTL is going to list some machine as being in compliance with NFPA79.

Status
Not open for further replies.