Sealing conduits

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotwire1955

Just wondering what is required in your area for sealing conduits entering a structure for power and alarm wiring for septic systems.Some locations in North Jersey require EY fitting prior to entry.300.5(G) FPN

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have not run into this situation to date, that I know of, other than performing work in a wastewater treatment plant :roll:

Sounds reasonable to me and perhaps required in areas where they don't enforce. ;)

hurk27

Because of the change of temperature here, and conduits leading in from the cold outside have to be sealed from air flow, we don't use EYS fittings, we just pack electrical duct seal around the conductors kneading into the pipe.

hotwire1955

Here the consern is more about sewer gas (methane) duct seal isn't appproved for sealing gas thats why we use EY fittings

hurk27

Here the consern is more about sewer gas (methane) duct seal isn't appproved for sealing gas thats why we use EY fittings

Sorry I guess I read to fast last night, I was thinking where service wires come in 300.7

But for sewer gasses we also use duct seal, and never had a problem with it, the reason I would not want the moisture laden air from a lift station coming into the house panel is more on the line of the corrosiveness of the moisture, and the fact that drain cleaners (acid) will be used, this can destroy a panel, as long as the air can not move in the pipe it cant get inside, this is a gas seal and not a classified barrier seal, most sewer pits are not a classified location or you would be in trouble with a cord and plug pump in it? the duct seal we use says right on the package for sealing raceways against air flow, moisture, and gasses, what other types of gasses would it be sealing from?

Now here's a point to ponder, do you locate a receptacle in the pump pit on a lift station? look at 110.11 we dont, we install an arlington post with a single receptacle in it with a inuse cover, and let the plumbers bring there cord out of the pit to plug it in, we use the back divided compartment to make up the alarm conductors from the pit to the house, so no gas seal needed.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Most of the SFR single pump systems I see are sealed with duct-seal.
Larger systems usually have a Classified "pit" area for the pumps and Art 500 wiring is required with seal-offs.

hotwire1955

Sorry I guess I read to fast last night, I was thinking where service wires come in 300.7

But for sewer gasses we also use duct seal, and never had a problem with it, the reason I would not want the moisture laden air from a lift station coming into the house panel is more on the line of the corrosiveness of the moisture, and the fact that drain cleaners (acid) will be used, this can destroy a panel, as long as the air can not move in the pipe it cant get inside, this is a gas seal and not a classified barrier seal, most sewer pits are not a classified location or you would be in trouble with a cord and plug pump in it? the duct seal we use says right on the package for sealing raceways against air flow, moisture, and gasses, what other types of gasses would it be sealing from?

Now here's a point to ponder, do you locate a receptacle in the pump pit on a lift station? look at 110.11 we dont, we install an arlington post with a single receptacle in it with a inuse cover, and let the plumbers bring there cord out of the pit to plug it in, we use the back divided compartment to make up the alarm conductors from the pit to the house, so no gas seal needed.

We install 6X6 pvc splice box on a post with 1 inch conduit going into tank riser then install pump and alarm wiring to splice box ,from there pvc conduit to the side of structure with diconnect mounted outside with EY fitting prior to disconnect (EY mounted to disconnect for grounding the fitting) the septic tanks are not classified areas but duct seal ins't listed for stopping sewer gas. Your install with the recep. would be a problem with protection of cord from pump and alarm, plus if GFI trips tank dosn't pump out and alarm dosn't sound.

hurk27

We install 6X6 pvc splice box on a post with 1 inch conduit going into tank riser then install pump and alarm wiring to splice box ,from there pvc conduit to the side of structure with disconnect mounted outside with EY fitting prior to disconnect (EY mounted to disconnect for grounding the fitting) the septic tanks are not classified areas but duct seal isn't listed for stopping sewer gas. Your install with the recep. would be a problem with protection of cord from pump and alarm, plus if GFI trips tank doesn't pump out and alarm doesn't sound.

so you cut off the plug on a listed pump? Alarm doesn't sound? the alarm here is required to not be on the same circuit as the pump, and is mounted inside so that it will be heard, so that point is mute, but using a breaker or levington GFCI's I have not had a trip problem, as far as the short length of cord coming out of the ground plugging in to the receptacle being subject to damage, well so are all the cords on pool pumps and many other outdoor equipment that is used year around, I have never been require to protect a cord on Utilization Equipment, as far as the duct seal goes, this must be a local requirement as I can not find anything in any national codes that says this?

hotwire1955

so you cut off the plug on a listed pump? Alarm doesn't sound? the alarm here is required to not be on the same circuit as the pump, and is mounted inside so that it will be heard, so that point is mute, but using a breaker or levington GFCI's I have not had a trip problem, as far as the short length of cord coming out of the ground plugging in to the receptacle being subject to damage, well so are all the cords on pool pumps and many other outdoor equipment that is used year around, I have never been require to protect a cord on Utilization Equipment, as far as the duct seal goes, this must be a local requirement as I can not find anything in any national codes that says this?

True the alarm is on other circuit so it will sound and is mounted inside here also. No the plug is not cut off, pumps and floats are ordered without plugs so that they can be pulled to splice box.Pool cords don't emerge from grade so that is a "mute point"
300.5(D) (1) requires protection of the cable emerging from the ground.
Duct seal isn't listed in the White Book for sealing sewer gas and that is the consern with local Officials, I also think duct seal would work fine,it would take alot fart gas to be a problem but that is what they want.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.