Energy Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
At least you know what your states rules are. I can't find anything that spells out the requirements on Mass.

BTW, how the heck to you light a home in your state? I can see flourescents in closets and maybe hallways where you don't normally dim the light. What do you do everywhere else?

What Ike said.:)

mkgrady

Fluorescent. Over-cabinet, under-cabinet, recessed...

Whatever it takes.

You should see the look of consternation and disbelief on many customers faces when these requirements are explained to them.

So dimming the lights is not done? Xenon under cabinets are not used? I can just see my customer saying YHGTBSM!

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
So dimming the lights is not done? Xenon under cabinets are not used? I can just see my customer saying YHGTBSM!

You can use xenon lamps under the cabinets if you match them watt for watt in high efficiency somewhere else in the kitchen.

Of course, you can also dim your fluorescent cans, etc. if you want. That's optional. You'll get no special credit for doing so, though (to my knowledge).

This is all CA. I guess it probably won't be long before MA energy requirements are just as 'exacting' as ours.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
You can use xenon lamps under the cabinets if you match them watt for watt in high efficiency somewhere else in the kitchen.

This is the part that I see as counter productive from an energy savings point of view. If the customer wants something specific that is not qualified as high efficiency, you can just add some additional high efficiency lighting someplace else until you get to the right ratio. Now when they turn them all on they are using even more energy:mad:

I will not disagree that new technologies use less energy to get the same amount of light. I do not believe that they cost the consumer less money after figuring in the cost and maintenance. Maintenance is good for those of us in the business of maintaining these things but adds a lot to the cost of lighting.

I feel the same way about all the controls on automobiles - anymore the slightest problem means the vehicle is inoperable and only a highly skilled tech is going to fix it. Yes it uses less fuel for the same activity as older vehicles but cost more to own and maintain.

Saving energy is simple - if you don't presently need to use something turn it off. Our nation is one of the laziest out there and most of us don't care. We like our technology devices and can't live without them. You would think some of the highest energy prices ever during the last few years would change peoples habits but from my observations most people are still using energy the way they always have at the very least and many are using more than ever.

mkgrady

Of course, you can also dim your fluorescent cans, etc. if you want. That's optional. You'll get no special credit for doing so, though (to my knowledge).

This is all CA. I guess it probably won't be long before MA energy requirements are just as 'exacting' as ours.

Who makes a dimmable flourescent in a recess can? Do they work well? Is the light color good?

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician

e57

In fact, I wish you guys would adopt the CA energy code so you could translate it for me.
All you have to do is find the 15 year old kid who happens to be on the 'accelerated' program at UC Davis, and on the take from Sylvania - The jackass who wrote it... That code reads like the manufacturers wrote it themselves.

As for Dimmable Floro lighting - plan to spend money and bill accordingly - or have a siezure. The good stuff - not your grandfathers shop light - cost money - real money. Cheap knocks look like it.

These without the fixure.... Big money for what it is - but it's high tech... :roll: But with a fresh lamp on an aluminum reflector - looks great.
http://www.lutron.com/Products/FluorescentBallasts/Hi-Lume3D/Pages/Overview.aspx

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Holy cow, that would add alot of romex footage to a job. If you do confirm that to be true I'd really like to know.
Well, the authorities have to do something to kill off a few contractors. Still too many people out there making some effort at a living. Sorry, my cynicism is coming out again. I'll try to do better.

e57

Where in a house would you use these ballasts?
Soffiet lighting to cover the 50% high efficacy requirement (* CA T24) in kitchens - 54w T5's.... They make CF models for cans - for kit's and baths. Recently a gallery cove general lighting with t5s - backed up with MH HID's and halogen on track.

mkgrady

I have established that the new energy code in Mass only requires 50% of lamps be energy effecient per IECC 2009, 404.1. There are no details that would prohibit cfl's in a recess. The code provides no method of calculating the allowable wattage in any way.

So, what this tells me is that the house can be wired with the same fixtures as before the energy code was instituted. It makes me wonder if the home owner will remove all the dimmable cfl's and put in incandescent bulbs after the job is done.

I will try to sell the home owner on dimmable LED or dimmable flourescent as an add-on. But it is good to know the code is not forcing me to include them in my bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.