Where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Sent to wire up a spray booth and this is where I need to pull two 3? 20A circuits from. Any existing violations here I may need to correct?

AMCspraybooth1.jpg

AMCspraybooth2.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Neutral wire possible undersized
Neutral wire not run with the feeder
Possible bending radius of the feeders.
Can't tell but it looks as if there are no locknuts on the inside for the nipples just a bushing but it's probably there.

I am glad you got work. :grin:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I'm just glad I don't come across these types of situations very often.....:cool:

So did they burn up the buss on the lefthand panel and just swap everything over to a new panel on the right instead of just replacing it?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
So did they burn up the buss on the lefthand panel and just swap everything over to a new panel on the right instead of just replacing it?

Yes sir, but I see 2 glaring violations here and nobody has cited them yet, you guys are slackin.:roll::grin:

Split Bolt

Grounded conductor is big enough...it's in the original burned-up panel where all the neutrals are landed as well!:grin:

You need to squeeze six more spaces out of that? I'd offer to help you, but I'm busy that day!:D

e57

Code section?
Can't remember it off hand - but generally says 'Shall originate in the same panel board'.... Well they kinda do - but don't....

While it is a creative way of 'moving the panel' to get out of the 'other' violation of work-space....

IMO - a simple sizable say #4-2 noodle in each nipple will kill the heating issue if any at all... but still not right. :roll:

paul

I see a bond and no service disconnect.

Whoops, maybe not. Do the neutral & ground bars connect on the left?

Last edited:

hurk27

While there is nothing I can see that even meets code in this install, one thing that jumps out is the make shift MJB in the left tub, looks like maybe a #10 or 12 wire from a lug on the can to the grounding bar?

also I cant see if there was a EGC ran with these service feeders, or if the conduit for the feeders is metal?

hardlly no neutral bar in the new panel on the right, much less a grounding bar. which I would need because I would be stripping this mess out and re-working all the wires, What a mess

hurk27

It almost appears that, with the green wire running from the right tub neutral bar, is connecting the grounding bar in the left tub which is bonded to the neutral side of the left tub via the taped white, bonding the grounding and neutrals back together?

and the fact you have no space for your new circuits:roll:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.