Fusion Splicing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
My drawing is telling me that all fiber terminations should be fusion spliced. What is that? Would I still have the typical SC connectors etc?

dicklaxt

The method of slicing fibers with heat,you need a specific tool.I don't know how that is used in terminating a fiber unless you have so called pigtail fibers but that doesnt ring a bell,some will know I'm sure.

dick

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
As Dick says it is way to join to fibers together and is typically done with extremely long runs of fiber. Seems to me the specs are excluding mechanical splices. Here is a link to some good info.

http://www.lanshack.com/fiber-optic-tutorial-termination.aspx

Thankas I will read that tonight. So mechanical splices are the connectors at the patch panels? We are running fiber from each fiber patch panel in each IDF to the nect IDF.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
Thankas I will read that tonight. So mechanical splices are the connectors at the patch panels? We are running fiber from each fiber patch panel in each IDF to the nect IDF.

A mechanical splice is still a splice its just done with a mechanical connector instead of fusing the fiber toogether, sort of the fiber equivalent of a butt connector for wire. Splices are not intended to be reversed. A connector is what would be used at a patch panel. Splices at a patch panel doesn't sound right to me.

wireguru

the patch panel has SC connectors with factory installed fiber pigtails. The connectors are machine polished. The front of the patch panel swings out to reveal a fiber splice tray. You fusion splice (with a fusion splicing machine -about $20K plus training) the strands in the cable you ran to the pigtails and secure them in the tray.

This is really the best way to do fiber patch panels. When i used to be in that business nothing else was acceptable.

You have to make sure you buy patch panels set up for fusion splicing. They are different than the patch panels you will typically find at your supply house.

Here is some product info http://www.krone.com/Americas/en_US/Product/1270708875872

eric9822

Occupation
the patch panel has SC connectors with factory installed fiber pigtails. The connectors are machine polished. The front of the patch panel swings out to reveal a fiber splice tray. You fusion splice (with a fusion splicing machine -about $20K plus training) the strands in the cable you ran to the pigtails and secure them in the tray.

This is really the best way to do fiber patch panels. When i used to be in that business nothing else was acceptable.

You have to make sure you buy patch panels set up for fusion splicing. They are different than the patch panels you will typically find at your supply house.

Here is some product info http://www.krone.com/Americas/en_US/Product/1270708875872

Interesting. We have always installed our own SC or ST connectors for the main runs. What is the advantage of using factory pigtails and splicing?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator

Wire I'm confused:-?...We are running 32 strand from fiber patch panel to fiber patch panel. So the connectors are already there attached to a pigtail and we fusion spice to the fiber to the pigtail? How long per splice? Thanks, I appreciate the info.

wireguru

Wire I'm confused:-?...We are running 32 strand from fiber patch panel to fiber patch panel. So the connectors are already there attached to a pigtail and we fusion spice to the fiber to the pigtail? How long per splice? Thanks, I appreciate the info.

in the patch panel there are bulkhead mount SC to SC (or whatever type) couplers. On the back side of these are SC plugs with fiber coming out of them. These fibers get spliced to the cable you run.

The advantage is a better termination on the SC connectors. You cant get the quality on a field termination that you can with a factory made termination. The other issue (i have been told) is that field installed anerobic or hotmelt connectors installed directly on the strands of long cable runs will eventually fail due to movement of the fiber strand.

I am curious, you are asking how to do this and how long per splice....how are you going to do it if you havent done it before and dont have a fusion splicer? You're going to have to sub it out, expect to pay between $40 and $100 per splice depending on your market and who you get. The machine to do this costs around $16,000 plus there is a bunch of other stuff you have to buy as well. Then you need to know how to use it....

eric9822

Occupation
expect to pay between $40 and $100 per splice

$40 to $100 per splice? Holy Cow! Thats way more expensive then terminating your own fiber. With the fiber I have had run about 95% of the terminations passed testing on the first try. I think I'll stick to field terminations.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
in the patch panel there are bulkhead mount SC to SC (or whatever type) couplers. On the back side of these are SC plugs with fiber coming out of them. These fibers get spliced to the cable you run.

The advantage is a better termination on the SC connectors. You cant get the quality on a field termination that you can with a factory made termination. The other issue (i have been told) is that field installed anerobic or hotmelt connectors installed directly on the strands of long cable runs will eventually fail due to movement of the fiber strand.

I am curious, you are asking how to do this and how long per splice....how are you going to do it if you havent done it before and dont have a fusion splicer? You're going to have to sub it out, expect to pay between $40 and $100 per splice depending on your market and who you get. The machine to do this costs around $16,000 plus there is a bunch of other stuff you have to buy as well. Then you need to know how to use it....

I am helping someone with an estimate and I am doing the device take-off and I saw the notes that called for this and was curious.

wireguru

Fusion splice: I think of exothermic welding. So is this a permanent method to splice fiber optics ? Thank You John

yes. the machine perfectly aligns the cleved ends of the fiber (think of how precise this needs to be when the core of the fiber is 9um diameter) then uses an electric arc to fuse the glass together. A properly made fusion splice has virtually no loss.

wireguru

$40 to $100 per splice? Holy Cow! Thats way more expensive then terminating your own fiber. With the fiber I have had run about 95% of the terminations passed testing on the first try. I think I'll stick to field terminations.

two totally different things. define passed testing. you got light out the other end, or the loss when measured with an optical power meter was within a range deemed acceptable by the client?

In many applications field terminations are unacceptable. The cost to have someone do the fusion splicing isnt that bad really when you count the cost of the splice sleeves, wear on the machine (requires recalibration and consumable electrodes replaced) and amortization of the cost of the machine...

Hopefully everyone working with fiber is being careful and disposing of their shards (cleved, cut, or broken off fiber pieces) properly. If one of those makes it under your skin (or in your eye) it can be a real problem. Scroll down about halfway through http://www.thefoa.org/tech/ref/safety/safe.html

eric9822

Occupation
two totally different things. define passed testing. you got light out the other end, or the loss when measured with an optical power meter was within a range deemed acceptable by the client?

In many applications field terminations are unacceptable. The cost to have someone do the fusion splicing isnt that bad really when you count the cost of the splice sleeves, wear on the machine (requires recalibration and consumable electrodes replaced) and amortization of the cost of the machine...

Hopefully everyone working with fiber is being careful and disposing of their shards (cleved, cut, or broken off fiber pieces) properly. If one of those makes it under your skin (or in your eye) it can be a real problem. Scroll down about halfway through http://www.thefoa.org/tech/ref/safety/safe.html

Yep, I know. We test our fiber against the TIA/EIA-568-B standard using a blackbox test set. We don't run a whole lot, probably a few tens of thousands of feet per year, and most runs are under a thousand feet. That dollar amount per splice just really stood out to me.

wireguru

Yep, I know. We test our fiber against the TIA/EIA-568-B standard using a blackbox test set. We don't run a whole lot, probably a few tens of thousands of feet per year, and most runs are under a thousand feet. That dollar amount per splice just really stood out to me.

good deal. have you had fusion splicing done? what have you paid? ive had the $100 a splice range for 2 or 4 splices, and $40 a splice for a couple dozen.

eric9822

Occupation
good deal. have you had fusion splicing done? what have you paid? ive had the $100 a splice range for 2 or 4 splices, and $40 a splice for a couple dozen.

Never had any splicing done. Most of our runs are under a thousand feet and I never thought about purchasing patch panels with pre-terminated pigtails. When we first started running fiber about 15 years ago we had the first runs installed and terminated by our IT subcontractor. After I saw the the bill and about had a heart attack I had a 3M supplier come in and teach our electricians how to prep and terminate the fiber. I am not sure what the labor rates are where you are but here journeymen electricians are about $20/hr less then the IT guys. Electricians seem to do a cleaner installation as well.

wireguru

Never had any splicing done. Most of our runs are under a thousand feet and I never thought about purchasing patch panels with pre-terminated pigtails. When we first started running fiber about 15 years ago we had the first runs installed and terminated by our IT subcontractor. After I saw the the bill and about had a heart attack I had a 3M supplier come in and teach our electricians how to prep and terminate the fiber. I am not sure what the labor rates are where you are but here journeymen electricians are about $20/hr less then the IT guys. Electricians seem to do a cleaner installation as well.

are you using hotmelt or anerobic connectors? im in so cal so we're on the same page labor rate wise. Good move you made bringing the fiber work in house. Maybe I should buy a fusion splicer :)

eric9822

Occupation
are you using hotmelt or anerobic connectors? im in so cal so we're on the same page labor rate wise. Good move you made bringing the fiber work in house. Maybe I should buy a fusion splicer :)

Hot melt. Have fun with the new splicer! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.