ughhhh wallplates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Split Bolt

Now since we've forund the plates...

How many of you, when you install the cover plate screws, have the slots in the screws oriented in the same direction? The crusty old electrician I learned from made me have them running vertically...he said it was the "mark of a Master electrician"....and I still do it today.

I now ALWAYS leave the slot vertical. Funny story: I used to ALWAYS leave them horizontal. Back in '99, I closed my business down to go work for a friend. (mostly because I was about to go through a huge, nasty divorce battle!) Anyway, I was the new guy, but also the new top guy since I was a master electrician and all. The rest of the guys resented that and when I was helping one of the mechanics trim-out a house, he noticed that I left all of my screws horizontal. He told me that EVERYONE in the company leaves the slots vertical. I looked at him and told him that I do it this way to speed-up troubleshooting. He asked how that could possibly speed-up troubleshooting. I told him that if the slots are horizontal, that means I did it and the problem is NOT there! That didn't go over too well!:D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
To me, Midi has always stood for Musical Instrument Digital Interface.

A mid-size plate, I'd call...

a mid-size plate.:D

That's fine but some manufacturers use the term midi. Do a search on midi wallplates and you will see. P&S calls it a junior jumbo- to each his own. :)

wireguru

How many of you, when you install the cover plate screws, have the slots in the screws oriented in the same direction? The crusty old electrician I learned from made me have them running vertically...he said it was the "mark of a Master electrician"....and I still do it today.

i leave them random so it looks like someone else put them on and i dont get bothered with a callback for anything later :grin:

kwired

Electron manager

Shouldn't you find out what recommended tightening torque is and stop tightening when this value is reached:grin:

If you wish to line up all the screw slots that is up to you. Most people will never notice. People who are that particular should probably use the covers that snap on with no screws to have to line up the slots.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you wish to line up all the screw slots that is up to you. Most people will never notice.
You would be surprised. I have been putting the slots in the screws vertically now for 20 years. I have had many customers comment on it but many that don't notice. The point is that I notice and that's all that matters. :grin:

BTW, when the builders tells me the plate is crooked I usually drag him there and show him that the screw is not vertical-- proof it wasn't us-- the painters did it. :grin:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Nobody uses standard sizes around here anymore. Everything has gone to midi many, many years ago. It covers more sheetrock sins. I had the standards in my house but I never liked them. I changed to decora and midi plates.
Actually, I think CES still has a lot in std size. For a good while, std was all they sold. I seldom use them, as you said, because rock gets so badly damaged these days on new jobs and old walls are sometimes easily damaged when cutting boxes in. I use a vibe saw, that minimizes damage, but will still crumble some plaster if not in good shape.

jmellc

Occupation
Must be a Carolinaian iowan term... :grin:
Standard, midsize and jumbo is the terminology I've always heard. For years, standard plates were all that was needed, when most walls were plaster. Plaster was applied right to the box with no gaps. Same if a box was mortared into concrete or cinder block.

jmellc

Occupation
I now ALWAYS leave the slot vertical. Funny story: I used to ALWAYS leave them horizontal. Back in '99, I closed my business down to go work for a friend. (mostly because I was about to go through a huge, nasty divorce battle!) Anyway, I was the new guy, but also the new top guy since I was a master electrician and all. The rest of the guys resented that and when I was helping one of the mechanics trim-out a house, he noticed that I left all of my screws horizontal. He told me that EVERYONE in the company leaves the slots vertical. I looked at him and told him that I do it this way to speed-up troubleshooting. He asked how that could possibly speed-up troubleshooting. I told him that if the slots are horizontal, that means I did it and the problem is NOT there! That didn't go over too well!:D
I do mine vertical. Most vets who taught me did that & I do too. Most guys around here don't do it, but a handful do. As you said, it helps me know if someone else has been in the box. I sat in a doctor's office the other day, close to a switch, and tweaked the screws with my knife. I do get OCD about that, same as with toilet paper. Only 1 right way.

mcclary's electrical

I do too, always

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

M4gery

Over the top or face a sharp rap on the knuckles with a stiff ruler in my house, however, with spools of wire it's tails on the bottom or the same penalty applies.

Nope, spools need the wire pulling off from the top just like toilet paper :mad:

:D

Howard Burger

out from under!

out from under!

Over the top and the end of a 1000' spool of romex pops right off the nails holding the emt to the studs; unless you bend the nails over, then its a chore to take the spool off at the end of the day. Under the bottom pulls the remainder of the spool into the studs the nails go into.

And another vote for screw slots upward.

Speaking of OCD, does anyone besides me use a torpedo level to make darn sure the cover plates are vertical? Seems with my glasses (or something) I have trouble getting them exactly up-and-down close up. And walking into a room and seeing them a little out of true drives me nuts.

M4gery

Over the top and the end of a 1000' spool of romex pops right off the nails holding the emt to the studs; unless you bend the nails over, then its a chore to take the spool off at the end of the day. Under the bottom pulls the remainder of the spool into the studs the nails go into.
That makes sense for romex nailed to studs, but for everything else the wire needs to go over the top. Everything from 600's on jackstands to #12 THHN on a wire cart.

M4gery

Why would it matter about spools of #12, so long as all the spools on a rod or leg of a spooler are turning the same direction?

It's easier to find the ends when making a lot of pulls. It's also good to have a standard for everyone to follow.

Apparently ActionDave's standard is the opposite, and he rules with an iron ruler :grin:

hurk27

Actually, I think CES still has a lot in std size. For a good while, std was all they sold. I seldom use them, as you said, because rock gets so badly damaged these days on new jobs and old walls are sometimes easily damaged when cutting boxes in. I use a vibe saw, that minimizes damage, but will still crumble some plaster if not in good shape.

Try a Roto-Zip with a tile bit, best thing to use on plaster walls, never causes loose plaster to vibrate off.

Status
Not open for further replies.