to bond or not to bond

Status
Not open for further replies.

boatfull

a swimming pool is going in ground. it is already dug and the steel is in place. there is a power company pole about 10 feet away from the pool. they have 3 support cables comming down to support the wooden power company pole and there are 3 rods driven into the ground that land 4'6" from the pool water. art. 680.26.(7) says any metal parts within 5' of the pool must be bonded. inspector says do not bond it and there is nothing in the code from preventing them from doing this. since the power company rods are bonded at the pole and at the neutral at the transformer seems like a hazard. power company was on site and said they have no problem with it. does anyone have any thoughts on this?

cripple

to bond or not to bond

The NEC my not require it to be bonded, but since the NEC is a bare bone minimum safety code and the best interest of safety BOND it to pool steel.

jghrist

Guys are not always insulated.

I'd say bond the guys and also ask the utility to put insulators in any guys that extend into the primary area of the pole and could be energized by a broken primary conductor.

erickench

If these three rods are already bonded to the utility neutral through the support cables and if the metal rebars of the pool shell are bonded to the service neutral then a connection should already exist. I think that NEC 680.26 applies to isolated metal parts that must be bonded.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
The bonding is to eliminate the chance of there being a voltage difference between the pool and any metal within 5'. There is probably enough conductor between the pool and the ground rod to create a difference in potential. I would bond it to eliminate any doubt.

hurk27

If there is no insulators on the guy wire/ ground rods, and the guys/ground rods are bonded to the MGN at the pole, then if you bond it, you will place the EPG bonding and the EGC of the pump feed in parallel with the service neutral, I don't think it would be wise to bond it, as now you will have circulating neutral currents on you EPG.

If it is more then 5' from the pool it is not required by code.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
The bonding is to eliminate the chance of there being a voltage difference between the pool and any metal within 5'. There is probably enough conductor between the pool and the ground rod to create a difference in potential. I would bond it to eliminate any doubt.

I agree with this 100%.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If there is no insulators on the guy wire/ ground rods, and the guys/ground rods are bonded to the MGN at the pole, then if you bond it, you will place the EPG bonding and the EGC of the pump feed in parallel with the service neutral, I don't think it would be wise to bond it, as now you will have circulating neutral currents on you EPG.

If it is more then 5' from the pool it is not required by code.
There will be a potential difference between the guys and the pool bonding system. While a bond to the guy may increase the current flow, it will reduce the votlage potential between the guy and the pool bonding system. With the bond the only potential would be from the voltage drop on the bonding conductor between the guy and the pool bonding system. This potential will be less than the potential that will exist without the bond.

hurk27

There will be a potential difference between the guys and the pool bonding system. While a bond to the guy may increase the current flow, it will reduce the voltage potential between the guy and the pool bonding system. With the bond the only potential would be from the voltage drop on the bonding conductor between the guy and the pool bonding system. This potential will be less than the potential that will exist without the bond.

I agree, I just don't like the thought of having a #12 EGC to the pump in parallel with the service neutral, if the service neutral ever fails, (and they do) the egc could catch something on fire, if it is run inside the house.

My thought would be to try to get the utility to relocate these grounding rods, a little farther away to allow the over 5' allowance.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I agree, I just don't like the thought of having a #12 EGC to the pump in parallel with the service neutral, if the service neutral ever fails, (and they do) the egc could catch something on fire, if it is run inside the house.

My thought would be to try to get the utility to relocate these grounding rods, a little farther away to allow the over 5' allowance.
True, but also when the service neutral fails there will be a very large voltage gradient in the earth between the utility guys and the pool.
I would want it a lot more than 5' away and would put an more extensive bonding grid around the pool.

boatfull

thank everyone for their reply. alas the ahj is sticking to his guns and saying do not bond. i showed him the replies on this and says they are not the ahj. FPL says they are not going to do anything with the guy wires.

mbeatty

True, but also when the service neutral fails there will be a very large voltage gradient in the earth between the utility guys and the pool.
I would want it a lot more than 5' away and would put an more extensive bonding grid around the pool.

I absolutely agree with Don's statement and similar responses.
Regards,
Mark

robert pitre

I would bond it.

I would bond it.

NEC 280.26 B(5) saids, all fix metal parts within the distances of the pool" except those separated from the pool by a (permanent barrier), shall be bonded.
5.(1) within 5ft. horizontally of inside walls of pool.
5.(2) 12 ft vertically above max. water level of pool.

Do we have a permanent barrier?

boatfull

NEC 280.26 B(5) saids, all fix metal parts within the distances of the pool" except those separated from the pool by a (permanent barrier), shall be bonded.
5.(1) within 5ft. horizontally of inside walls of pool.
5.(2) 12 ft vertically above max. water level of pool.

Do we have a permanent barrier?
there is now but i think with the guy wires within 5' of the pool still creates a potential hazard. the guy wires are bonded to the pole which is attached to the neutral. it does meet code with the barrier there

danickstr

Since the potential for load is so great, I am inclined to agree with the inspector.

Why bring the potential of so much potential into the pool area? If the ground is dry, the earth resistance might be enough to melt the bonding conductor, but to not blow the poco safety, and then you just have an electrified pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.