rt66electric

do ya recommend changing out the 100a zinsco or not

do ya recommend changing out the 100a zinsco or not

Growler: I like your response!!!!

Now for the next question;
next house>>>>
1950's seller is out-of-town.
Items on checklist>>>
Ungrounded recepts>> easy-replace the bath/kitchen recepts w/ gfi, and the others w/ 2-prong.
Flying splices in attic (at least 12 redo's)>>> easy add j-boxes etc.
Cloth 2-wire romex throughout house
Main panel -100 Zinsco in the bedroom closet. It is stuffed FULL like always. The panel is in good shape and shows no sign of overheating or damage.

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND ????????

growler

Growler: I like your response!!!!

Now for the next question;
next house>>>>
1950's seller is out-of-town.
Items on checklist>>>
Ungrounded recepts>> easy-replace the bath/kitchen recepts w/ gfi, and the others w/ 2-prong.
Flying splices in attic (at least 12 redo's)>>> easy add j-boxes etc.
Cloth 2-wire romex throughout house
Main panel -100 Zinsco in the bedroom closet. It is stuffed FULL like always. The panel is in good shape and shows no sign of overheating or damage.

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND ????????

The old Zinsco panel in the closet.

I'm going to recommend they move that thing. What they actually do is their business. There is no way I would even consider recommending that they leave a zinsco panel in a clothes closet. I may have to stick my neck out from time to time to make money but I see no reason to stick my neck out and take on any responsibility for free.

I inform the customer that a home inspection report is not enforceable but to cover myself I can not recommend leaving it in the present location. The decision is all theirs.

kwired

Electron manager
I know it's common practice to sleeve the romex but Actually rx,mc, and greenfield are not to be where subject to physical damage. Put a plug in below sink and put a cord on the pig.

Is any wiring method allowed where exposed to physical damage? Would not a cord/plug be prohibited where exposed to physical damage?

Isn't the real issue what constitutes "physical damage."[/quote]

Run RMC or IMC to the pig:grin:

Does splitting a piece of tubing and slipping it over a NM cable actually protect it anymore from physical damage? Minor abrasions yes, but not real physical abuse.

Bolt the cabinet doors shut - no longer subject to physical abuse.

I always use a cord and receptacle, but do not see it as any better or worse as far as physical abuse is concerned.

fishin' electrician

In any case, I always make it a point to inform the seller that it's not required, but that I will happily perform the work. I'd hate for them to find out later it was really just a "wish" on the part of the buyer/HI and I just went ahead and performed a non-repair.

220/221

Do you split the NM sealtite termination fittings, as well?

Rhetorical question?

If I am going into a box or boxes and using conectors, there would be no reason to split the flex.

The situation I was thinking of involved about 12" of exposed romex coming out of the attic space, thru the blocking between the eaves, then entering the block wall below. I could have pulled everything apart but my goal was to simply sleeve the romex and satisfy a home inspection report.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
You could also get into the issue of potentially being exposed to water, if a drain or water line should leak. In which case, the wiring should be protected with NM Carlon or Metallic Sealtight, & conductors should be rated for wet environment. Have to go back to crawlspace, set box & run UF or THHN, in flex through cabinet & to disposal. If using a box in cabinet, should be watertight too.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
That could apply to an entire building.
Not as I see it. Entire building is not in close proximity to water lines & drain lines. Under sink cabinet is right in the thick of them. Bedroom, hallway, living room, etc. are only close to water lines if some happen to go up the wall nearby.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Entire building is not in close proximity to water lines & drain lines.
Of course, not the whole house, necessarily, but almost all of a downstairs where there is plumbing above.

I've seen water travel tens of feet across a drywall ceiling, passing right under the joists, seeking a drain.

Often, it finds ceiling fixture box penetrations, and I've seen fixtures and even bulbs with water in them.

It happened at my mom's townhouse with upstairs laundry. Hose broke and flooded the entire downstairs.

kwired

Electron manager
Article 100 definitions

Location, Dry. A location not normally subject to dampness or wetness. A location classified as dry may be temporarily subject to dampness or wetness, as in the case of a building under construction.

Dry locations may be subject to wetness during abnormal conditions, otherwise everything may have to be considered a wet location.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Be hard to slip anything over these without breaking a splice.
That's terrible! Why are the wires and joints outside the disposer, exposed and visible?

It needs its splices broken, an angle connector added, and put together correctly.

renosteinke

We have a whole passel of questions here. W have to addres them since 'wires under the sink' seems to be the hot topic on the HI seminar circuit these days.

First of, it is asserted that Romex to the disposal is a violation, as the romex has to pass through a hole in the wall, and is being used where a 'flexible' method should be used.

HOW one transitions to flex is an interesting question ... is it proper for a sleeve to simply be stuck into a hole in the wall ... or should there be a change in wiring method, using a box?

It has also been questioned whether an ordinary pigtail to a receptacle is acceptable.

On the HI forums, there has been considerable discussion as to receptacles under the sink at all are allowed, and in particular when the receptacles are installed face-up on the bottom of the cabinet. (Personally, I find a lot of the 'cabinet bottom' ones have no boxes at all). The debate rages whether the area is "wet" because of forseeble plumbing activities, spills, etc.

This thred is a good place to define what is acceptable - and what is not.

teco

That's terrible! Why are the wires and joints outside the disposer, exposed and visible?

It needs its splices broken, an angle connector added, and put together correctly.

Beautiful ha? I don't know why its like this. Maybe it was Sunday and the game was on. I've seen plumbers do a better install that this.

kwired

Electron manager
We have a whole passel of questions here. W have to addres them since 'wires under the sink' seems to be the hot topic on the HI seminar circuit these days.

First of, it is asserted that Romex to the disposal is a violation, as the romex has to pass through a hole in the wall, and is being used where a 'flexible' method should be used.

HOW one transitions to flex is an interesting question ... is it proper for a sleeve to simply be stuck into a hole in the wall ... or should there be a change in wiring method, using a box?

It has also been questioned whether an ordinary pigtail to a receptacle is acceptable.

On the HI forums, there has been considerable discussion as to receptacles under the sink at all are allowed, and in particular when the receptacles are installed face-up on the bottom of the cabinet. (Personally, I find a lot of the 'cabinet bottom' ones have no boxes at all). The debate rages whether the area is "wet" because of forseeble plumbing activities, spills, etc.

This thred is a good place to define what is acceptable - and what is not.
jump back a few posts where I posted the art. 100 definition of dry location. Dry locations may experience wetness during abnormal conditions and still be considered dry locations. If that were not allowed then every location should be a wet location. You never know what may cause wetness temporarily.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Dry locations may experience wetness during abnormal conditions and still be considered dry locations. If that were not allowed then every location should be a wet location. You never know what may cause wetness temporarily.
Which was my point in post #31.

Status
Not open for further replies.