GFCI keeps tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

EATDIRT

I installed a GFCI outlet on an shared existing circuit in a customers garage. I have 2 regular outlets wired to the load side of the GFCI. Everything is wired correctly and it trips here and there. Everything tests out OK. It can go days at a time without tripping. Could the GCFI trip if there is a problem on the line side. Any help here would be greatly appreciated thanks.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
When a GFCI device trips, it generally means one of two things. The less likely explanation is that the GFCI device itself is bad. The more likely explanation is that one or more downstream loads has an internal failure, and is leaking current, which is to say that the GFCI is doing its job and is protecting the user from a possible shock injury. The best approach is to isolate the faulty load, and get it repaired or replaced.

Buck Parrish

I agree pizza oven. Also what Charlie said so eloquantly.;)

Some pizza ovens are 240 or three phase voltage. It may need to be dedicated.
If you have a 120 pizza oven . It may be maxing out the 15 amp gfci. (Perhaps, )
Did you read the name plate max and minimum.

I'm sure you have replaced the gfci and it is still tripping.
, right?

On another note - How do you get spell check on this forum.:confused:

jumper

If you run Internet Explorer, there should be an icon in the top right corner.
It is a check mark with ABC over it. It will let you down load "ie spell check"

I run FireFox, there is no icon; however, it seems to automatically check spelling. Any misspelled word is underlined in red.

Many members write responses in notepad or wordpad, then copy and paste.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree pizza oven. Also what Charlie said so eloquantly.;)

Some pizza ovens are 240 or three phase voltage. It may need to be dedicated.
If you have a 120 pizza oven . It may be maxing out the 15 amp gfci. (Perhaps, )
Did you read the name plate max and minimum.

I'm sure you have replaced the gfci and it is still tripping.
, right?

GFCI will not care if the load is 1 amp or 50 amps as long as the hot and neutral are the same value.

More likely an intermittent neutral to ground problem within the unit.

Why should we use spell check? it is fun to see what some people can come up with for spelling or even typing errors.:)

knickelj

GFCI will not care if the load is 1 amp or 50 amps as long as the hot and neutral are the same value.

More likely an intermittent neutral to ground problem within the unit.

Why should we use spell check? it is fun to see what some people can come up with for spelling or even typing errors.:)

I have seen 15 amp feed through rated GFI?s trip then replaced them with a 20 amp feed through rated and problem solved. If the pizza oven is running and you fire up the TV (inrush) or another mild load you could easily exceed the rated load of the GFI. Also check the power switch on the pizza oven they typically will loosen and bump the case when wiggled/ turned/ flipped.

iwire

Staff member
True but they are also rated for 15 or 20amp feed through. You can exceed the maximum amperage rating and not exceed the 6ma differential/ leakage.

This does not make sense.

No matter how many amps of current the load draws the GFCI will not trip, they are not over current devices.

knickelj

If you exceed the rating of the device there is no real telling what will happen. (Most breakers trip/ some explode) Especially, with the very cheap gfi's. I guess what I'm saying is, in my experience, referring to warming carts that are rated at 16 amps. When someone installed 15 amp feed through gfi's and the warming carts were plugged in on the down stream receptacles the GFI would trip. After I replaced the 15 amp feed through with 20 amp the problem was solved. I can only theorize as to why it happens heat etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.