sub panel in attic

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

A residence has an attic room space with walk in door from the 3 rd floor level . The room meets all the space requirement for a legal habital room , it even has the e gress dormal windows required in bed room. The area will not be finished untill some time in future and is floored but has no wall or ceiling covering. Can a 100 amp sub panel be installed with the room in unfinished state ? the box has required space for with and height. I am trying to figure if I can install the panel and save on lab and mtrl of running home runs to main panel 2 floors down in basemant on opposite end of house

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Interesting point Dennis, would that affect the panel/CB rating in any way?
Not sure to be honest. I have installed the panel in attics without derating and , to my knowledge, have not had an issue. What's the ambient temp of cb's? Add a load and who knows.

Cavie

Not sure to be honest. I have installed the panel in attics without derating and , to my knowledge, have not had an issue. What's the ambient temp of cb's? Add a load and who knows.

Your over thinking again. Do you derate when you run NM in an attic? Do you derate breaker disconect for an air handler in an attic. Why would a subpanel require derating??

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
No code violation. If the room is going to get finished in the future even less reason to worry about it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Your over thinking again. Do you derate when you run NM in an attic? Do you derate breaker disconect for an air handler in an attic. Why would a subpanel require derating??
I didn't say I did derate but the question is are we supposed to per nec? It gets pretty hot in the southwest.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Circuit breakers are generally calibrated at 40? C. Does install them in hot attic affect their rating?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I probably wouldn't have a problem with the install either, but Dennis does bring up a good point, attics here in the summer can get 130-140 degrees.

Buck Parrish

The only thing is the "protection of wires" you may have to put sheet rock in that one bay area. Where the wires would be accessible....IMO

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Circuit breakers are generally calibrated at 40? C. Does install them in hot attic affect their rating?

Your the moderator- you tell me...:grin: I don't know I was curious about it and thought it could be a potential issue. No one seems to even bother with ambient temps anyway so....

jetlag

thanks dennis

thanks dennis

Is the ambient temp for some cb 40 c thats what some say the 40c on a cb is for but it is odd why they put that right by the terminal and the wire strip guage it looks like has something to do with the wire or terminal.

Buck Parrish

Crazy talk.

If I have 10 wires that I know will be exposed to physical damage I cover them up. I'll use a small piece of plywood or sheet rock.
That's no different then wiring a garage that will some day be sheet rocked.;) The wires must be protected IMO.

I done a service call this week. The owner had a full basement. He had put an entire office down thier, tv room, kids toys around, etc... with out ever sheetrocking the walls.
That was my point...

jetlag

the nm i agree and the 150 percent max breaker for fixed appliance prob takes care of attic , but 160 f is quite a lot

jetlag

No code violation. If the room is going to get finished in the future even less reason to worry about it.

Well when the room gets finished the back side of panel will still be in the attic heat and I dont like that much on my own house . But everone gave me a great idea I think i have room by the entrance door for panel to go in wall between attic and bedroom so only front side of panel will be in attic.. I wish I had another place for panel so not bring inspectors attention to the future attic room , I dont have to cut the door thru now . How bad is it for a panel to be on a master bedroom wall ?

Status
Not open for further replies.