"Standard Transformer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

loren

Have any of you had a "Standard" distribution transformer fail on you when energized? Standard is the manufactures name. The transformer was made in 1981.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Have any of you had a "Standard" distribution transformer fail on you when energized? Standard is the manufactures name. The transformer was made in 1981.

Never heard of Standard, did this fail upon energizing in 81 or yesterday?

cadpoint

Isn't there some kind of testing required for an aged piece of equipment that gets turned off ?

What's the history or record for testing if it ever existed at all ?

Was it the Trannie itself or the wires that feed it ?

loren

Every test comes back as if this were new. It meets all Neta acceptance standards but the testing company said that these were no good and they would never energize them.
We have 17 of these and they have been in service for 30 years turned on and off at least once a year for maintenance. We have never had a problem.
They have my employer all scared to turn it back on. They don't have a test that backs them and so far they have not produced proof of any failing. That is why I am trying to find out if anyone else has had a problem with this type of unit.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Every test comes back as if this were new. It meets all Neta acceptance standards but the testing company said that these were no good and they would never energize them.
We have 17 of these and they have been in service for 30 years turned on and off at least once a year for maintenance. We have never had a problem.
They have my employer all scared to turn it back on. They don't have a test that backs them and so far they have not produced proof of any failing. That is why I am trying to find out if anyone else has had a problem with this type of unit.
Is this a unit that has been in service for the years mentioned and shut down for preventive maintenance testing? ...or one that has been sitting in the warehouse and never energized? Not that it makes a difference to me, or the situation much... just curious. To me, if it passes all tests, I wouldn't hesitate to energize it (especially if nobody is anywhere near it when energized, and preferably a wall or two in between... not that I'm squeemish when close to it and no walls, just an option I'll take if available)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Shut down for testing and it has been off for weeks now.
That would make me even more confident in energizing it... but with that said, minimize the potential failure effects by energizing it under a no load condition, then load it incrementally rather than all at once (if possible).

BTW, why has this situation not come up before? New testing company? If so, I'd have to question their motives if they also do transformer sales and installations. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.