bath gfci

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
HR to first switch box. 3-wire to light, then 2-wire to next light, then 3-wire to switches.

Legal, but a PITA to troubleshoot.

Okay, I didn't catch that. I agree and I have not seen that type iinstall for 40 years or more where the feeds were in the lights.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Leo, show this to your inspector and see if he will admit he is wrong.Thanks Jumper:grin: .I do not have the 2008 hand book so i just have the black book to go by so i will cough up the dough and get one. The inspector has one in his office so i will point it out to him and i know he will stand down once he see's it in the book we have been doing the seperate HR's for years and never gave it a second thought . He flag me on that 15 years ago when he was the new inspector the wording in the 1996 code is almost the same as it is now.

210-11C3-01-web.jpg

Leo, I double checked the MA amendments and there are no changes from the NEC.
Yes i looked at that to and the MEC says nothing about it.
The inspector is a good man and as soon as he see's the graphic he will change his mind .Where you guys 15 years ago:roll::grin::grin:
You can run the circuits as shown in the graphic Jumper posted and the inspector must accept it.

Thanks Dennis and 480Sparky now i can see what your point is:grin:
When is the 2011 hand book going up for sale:roll:

jetlag

The troubleshooting is the easy part but talking down lights is more of a hassle then opeing a switch box. I think that's what Ken was getting at.

The small metal recep boxes they had in the day , the ones you take the side off to gang it , would only pass todays box fill for 1 12-2 cable and one device , but they would use 2 or 3 cables sometimes . to compensate they would hit ceiling box with HR , and have 4 cables out to a recep on each wall , and one cable out to switch leg . With dim flash light each room looked like a giant spider was claiming the territory :confused:

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
The small metal recep boxes they had in the day , the ones you take the side off to gang it , would only pass todays box fill for 1 12-2 cable and one device , but they would use 2 or 3 cables sometimes . to compensate they would hit ceiling box with HR , and have 4 cables out to a recep on each wall , and one cable out to switch leg . With dim flash light each room looked like a giant spider was claiming the territory :confused:

Wait till you see the 2011 NEC THERE will be more 2wire switch legs .
dennis mentioned that in an earlyer post:roll:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I want to be sure I am planning this right, I have 3 baths all are directly over each other , in a residence. basement , first floor . second floor . I plan to run 1 20 amp circuit for the gfic outlets in all 3 . I know when done this way can serve no other eguip outlets in baths, so lights will all be on different circuit. If I install any extra gfic outlets besides the ones by the basins , like a wall outlet 16" above floor, is that allowed to be connected to same 20 amp or does that count as serving other eguip ? people use them to connect small floor heaters. Also can you feed out of a bath gfci on one floor to protect bath on another floor or does each bath need seperate Gfci recepticals
I believe "serving other equipment" means something fixed, such as a hot water circulator or whirlpool, anything fixed in place. If I even think someone is to use a space heater, I put a dedicated circuit for it. Bathrooms already have a heavy load from hair dryers, curling irons, etc. & are often likely to be used at once; everyone getting ready for work, school, etc. A space heater is a monster all by itself. I do same in kitchen if I know a microwave goes in a certain place. Dedicated ckt if I have my way on it.

I also like using the GFI receptacle for each bathroom, especially with multistory dwellings. Talk the customer into it if you can. As for lights, I put them on with general lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.