Gas Piping Above MCC - 110.26(F)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWCELECTRIC

I have a project in construction where the HVAC contractor installed a gas pipe about 12" above my MCC. From the exception this gas pipe could be installed above the MCC. My question is what method could be used to protect the MCC from gas pipe since it doesn't drip?

pete m.

Unless I missed something or there is a local ammendment I don't think the gas piping could be considered outside of the dedicated equipment space.

Pete

ed downey

That exception is only applicable if the gas line is above the dedicated electrical space whcih extends 6 feet above the top of the MCC.

You have a violation.

raider1

Staff member
I don't see any exception to 110.26(F)(1)(a) that would permit a gas pipe to be installed 12" above an MCC.

110.26(F)(1)(b) permits foreign systems to be installed above the required dedicated space of 6' but not 12" above the top of the MCC.

Chris

JWCELECTRIC

I don't see any exception to 110.26(F)(1)(a) that would permit a gas pipe to be installed 12" above an MCC.

110.26(F)(1)(b) permits foreign systems to be installed above the required dedicated space of 6' but not 12" above the top of the MCC.

Chris

The exception allows foreign system in dedicated work space above elec equipment if there is protection

pete m.

The exception allows foreign system in dedicated work space above elec equipment if there is protection

(b) Foreign Systems. The area above the dedicated space required by 110.26(F)(1)(a) shall be permitted to contain foreign systems, provided protection is installed to avoid damage to the electrical equipment from condensation, leaks, or breaks in such foreign systems.

raider1

Staff member
(b) Foreign Systems. The area above the dedicated space required by 110.26(F)(1)(a) shall be permitted to contain foreign systems, provided protection is installed to avoid damage to the electrical equipment from condensation, leaks, or breaks in such foreign systems.

Agreed, foreign systems are only permitted above the required dedicated space, not in the dedicated space.

Chris

JWCELECTRIC

Thanks! I didn't read it close enough, Gas pipe is not allowed

pete m.

Thanks! I didn't read it close enough, Gas pipe is not allowed

As far as "leak protection" for the gas piping is concerned I don't think anything would be required (although a leak in a gas pipe in close proximity to an MCC would become quickly apparent;))

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.