Overkill

Status
Not open for further replies.

big john

...Along the same line I have seen $40K rooftop HVAC units have SS discos mounted on them, but the entire HVAC unit was ordered without corrosion resistant treatment, like epoxy coated condenser fins, so the unit will rot away before the $3K disco....
We have that identical problem. Stainless motor-starters on our HVAC gear. The air-handler is a ball of rust but the motor-starters still look brand new.

I've posted it here before, but my favorite was the guy who'd read the code article requiring a receptacle for every space 2' or larger on a kitchen counter. He interpreted it as a receptacle every 2 feet, so that's what he had: Kitchen was probably 10'x10' and had 17 or 18 GFCI's in it.

-John

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I've posted it here before, but my favorite was the guy who'd read the code article requiring a receptacle for every space 2' or larger on a kitchen counter. He interpreted it as a receptacle every 2 feet, so that's what he had: Kitchen was probably 10'x10' and had 17 or 18 GFCI's in it.

-John

My cousin did the same thing when he wired his house, he thought he was an electrician since he worked on sewage lift stations for the city :roll: Sure it would pass code, but it looked like a beginner's work. :roll:

We have that identical problem. Stainless motor-starters on our HVAC gear. The air-handler is a ball of rust but the motor-starters still look brand new.

-John

Galvanic isolation is the key.
  1. Use metallic fasteners that are between the two dissimilar metals on the 'nobility' chart. http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Definitions/galvanic-series.htm
  2. Add a Teflon isolating pad between the SS and rolled steel.
Note that most electrical enclosures use 304 or 316 SS.

sii

An average two-car garage with a receptacle on every stud. A past owner had a wood shop with lots of small equipment. I didn't open up the walls but he had told the neighbor that he always wanted to have power available no matter where he was working. The neighbor asked (jokingly) "is everyone of those on it's own circuit?" No, the owner replied, that would be silly. Instead he wired them in pairs, each on a circuit with the one directly on the opposite wall....figured he could never be on both sides of the building at the same time and could therefore never overload a circuit.

42 receptacles, 21 breakers, and a ton of romex.

Last edited by a moderator:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
An average two-car garage with a receptacle on every stud. A past owner had a wood shop with lots of small equipment. I didn't open up the walls but he had told the neighbor that he always wanted to have power available no matter where he was working. The neighbor asked (jokingly) "is everyone of those on it's own circuit?" No, the owner replied, that would be silly. Instead he wired them in pairs, each on a circuit with the one directly on the opposite wall....figured he could never be on both sides of the building at the same time and could therefore never overload a circuit.

42 receptacles, 21 breakers, and a ton of romex.

We have one AHJ that makes the kitchen countertop have every other recpt. on the other circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Had one "designer" spec and outlet every 6', "because that's what the code says".

Also had a guy take the romex out of the box so that he could stretch it out and take all the kinks out of it. When he found he didn't have enough room to do this, he would measure every run and cut it before and then he could run it flat and straight. Looked so nice, I didn't have the heart to tell him that electricity didn't care, and no one was ever going to see it once the drywall was on.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The house I grew up in, built in the mid 50's, was all rigid conduit and not required by any code and not even installed by an electrician.

glene77is

. . . overkill . . .

JXO,

Several years back, in Memphis, TN, for Summerall El,
I ran a new circuit to each room in a 5000 sq ft house.
39 home runs, in a 40 circuit panel.

In Spring Valley, N.Y., for Davidson, in 1965,
we were running BX in a large multi-story residence (new).
The HO asked us to add some T&M special requests.

(1) He specified a 4"sq double duplex receptical in each room, incl kitchen and bath.
Two per corner, at exactly 24" from the corner. (guess he liked corner lamp tables)
One in between (centered of course).
So, we mounted jack studs to place the boxes as spec'd.

(2) He asked for one-of-each-set-of-four receptical plug-ins
to be on the door-way switch, separated from the others,
and marked with a distinctive color (so he could id the one on the switch).

(3) He also asked for five lite outlet boxes in each bedroom, four spaced evenly, and one in the center, all for fan/lites (which at that time were heavy).

(4) He returned each day that week with hot ham-cheese sandwiches, New York lavish style like a Hoagie. We had to turn down the beer, but he drank and watched his project happily.

Gee, that was a lot of work, and a lot of fun ! :)

ArcNSpark

New construction, underground service. Panel was roughly 350 feet from the pole. We contracted to lay pipes for phone and cable TV services as well.

Phone company spec'ed 4" Sched 40 PVC for their service wires. I believe they pulled two sets of CAT5 through that pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.