Overkill

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
480 Volt, 600 Amp service for a 10' x 20' building with a 10HP pump.

Your tax dollars hard at work :)

wireguru

400a 120/208Y panel for a sound system. 3 racks full of amplifiers, many with 30a 120v circuits. I left a meter on it, one phase peaked at 80 amps.

when sound guys say 'I need 400 amps' they usually mean they need 400 amps @ 120v.

lakee911

My own house has 200A service in the garage and 100A in the house and 60A would be fine for both.

LOL

Saw a note on a job that required a pullbox to be sized for twenty-four 4" conduits with 750KCMIL conductors....provision for a future generator. That's the first time I had ever been inside of a pull box...and able to shut the door! :)

Last edited:

mtfallsmikey

It started as the office for my mech. contracting biz, then part ham shack/man-cave. I have a lot of old tube radios...

I also needed plenty of watts for the Realistic combo, 8-track player/recorder, cassette, turntable, AM-FM, in one unit!

Installing 2-stainless steel, 400 amp, Type 4X panels in a kitchen because the engineer thought that they might get splashed with some water from the sink 12' away. Already had the standard panels on site which will now probably end up in the dumpster.

Actually it is the constant moisture and humidity in the area that eats into those panels. What the specifiers forget what happens to the guts of the panels. On the other hand it is easy to replace the guts.

Along the same line I have seen $40K rooftop HVAC units have SS discos mounted on them, but the entire HVAC unit was ordered without corrosion resistant treatment, like epoxy coated condenser fins, so the unit will rot away before the $3K disco. Mounting the SS directly to the housing is also a mistake as the mild steel housing will become the sacrificial anode as the SS actually will cause it to corrode before its time.

Last edited:

RETRAINDAILY

equipment grounds in emt/rmc

250 ? GROUNDING AND BONDING
250.118 Types of Equipment Grounding
Conductors. The equipment grounding conductor
run with or enclosing the circuit conductors shall be
one or more or a combination of the following:
(1) A copper, aluminum, or copper-clad aluminum
conductor. This conductor shall be solid or
stranded; insulated, covered, or bare; and in
the form of a wire or a busbar of any shape.
(2) Rigid metal conduit.
(3) Intermediate metal conduit.
(4) Electrical metallic tubing with an additional
equipment grounding conductor.

(5) Listed flexible metal conduit with an......

In EMT its law here...:roll:

http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/in...t/documents/web_content/dsd_trt_pdf_00554.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.