No, don't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I would wager that his intent was to pull most of the wire out of the box from the back, after he tightens the screws on the device. Let's hope that he left enough slack wire to permit the device to be removed from the box later.

No way is there the required 6" of conductors and the jacket will extend too far into the box.

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
I would wager that his intent was to pull most of the wire out of the box from the back, after he tightens the screws on the device. Let's hope that he left enough slack wire to permit the device to be removed from the box later.

No way is there the required 6" of conductors and the jacket will extend too far into the box.

-Hal

For boxes that do not use a clamp (like a 1 gang nail on NM box) there is a minimum required amount of cable sheath that is to be inside of the box.

Find a code section that states a maximum amount of sheath that is allowed inside and let us all know about it.

After years of using tools, carpal tunnel syndrome often sets in, using the drill is better than a screwdriver to install devices for long periods of time - set the clutch so you do not over tighten.

btharmy

Find a code section that states a maximum amount of sheath that is allowed inside and let us all know about it.

Common sense. When one considers the minimum length of free conductor required (not inside the nm jacket) inside the box is 6" then common sense would dictate you would not have 6" of jacket inside the box as the picture shows. Combine the 6" inside the jacket and another 6" of free conductor without the jacket you have 36" of conductor (hot, neut & gnd) inside a single gang device box with a device to boot. Good luck with that.:D

480sparky

Common sense. When one considers the minimum length of free conductor required (not inside the nm jacket) inside the box is 6" then common sense would dictate you would not have 6" of jacket inside the box as the picture shows. Combine the 6" inside the jacket and another 6" of free conductor without the jacket you have 36" of conductor (hot, neut & gnd) inside a single gang device box with a device to boot. Good luck with that.:D

Yeah, it may be a royal PITA, but it's still perfectly legal.

kwired

Electron manager

on something besides a device box one may want to leave sheath on cables for some reason .

I often place a box with excess cable at fluorescent light locations or any other place where cable will enter surface mounted equipment but do not strip the sheath - when time to trim I put a romex connector in the fixture just as if the box was not there.

I used to rough these in without a box but the drywallers always find a way to not bring the cable through the drywall, bring it out in the wrong place or something. Put it in a box and they just cut out like any other box and it is in the place I put it.

PetrosA

It's not the terminal screws that hurt my wrist, it's the device screws - that's when I get my impact and set it on low torque.

I have to agree that a drill or impact driver in the wrong hands shouldn't be used on terminals, panel covers, breakers, porcelain sockets, etc ;)

I don't think that's a drill. Looks like Dewalt's newest battery impact driver. I picked the previous version of this, and one of the best investments I've made for doing my job. :)

timlahr

classic

classic

that's a classic "amatuer" method or wiring ...they pull the romex through the KO and then attach the device and THEN pull the cable (along with the device) back and screw the device to the box. I always wondered how someone was able to attach the wires on to the device when you can't even pull the device more than 1/8 inch away from the face of the box.....lol.

kwired

Electron manager
that's a classic "amatuer" method or wiring ...they pull the romex through the KO and then attach the device and THEN pull the cable (along with the device) back and screw the device to the box. I always wondered how someone was able to attach the wires on to the device when you can't even pull the device more than 1/8 inch away from the face of the box.....lol.

I also think that was standard practice in the 1940's after the Rural Electrification Act. I see this all the time in places that were wired during that time. I think they wanted to use as little copper as possible.

kwired

Electron manager
I think it's more likely "Who thinks about the next electrical upgrade when wiring is first being installed?"

Maybe so but in the 1940's there was a war and material shortages because a lot of raw materials were prioritized to supplying manufacturing of equipment needed for troops. (How could todays generation ever survive something like that? We may have to live without something.)

It was my understanding that at about this time is when it was decided that using the grounded circuit conductor as equipment ground was acceptable for ranges, mostly to save copper because of the war.

iwire

Staff member
Maybe so but in the 1940's there was a war and material shortages because a lot of raw materials were prioritized to supplying manufacturing of equipment needed for troops. (How could todays generation ever survive something like that? We may have to live without something.)

It was my understanding that at about this time is when it was decided that using the grounded circuit conductor as equipment ground was acceptable for ranges, mostly to save copper because of the war.

All rumors, never been proved.

Also, there really were not that many shortages during the war, the metal drives where more about moral building than actually helping. Most of the steel collected was not of high enough quality to be used for weapons of war.

The gas rationing was put in place to save rubber as there was a shortage of quality natural rubber during the war.

kwired

Electron manager
All rumors, never been proved.

Also, there really were not that many shortages during the war, the metal drives where more about moral building than actually helping. Most of the steel collected was not of high enough quality to be used for weapons of war.

The gas rationing was put in place to save rubber as there was a shortage of quality natural rubber during the war.

I really don't know much about the facts from this time period but it requires metal for more than just weapons to support the troops.

There may not have been many real shortages of some raw materials but was there any increased prices because of demand increases and maybe perceived shortages? We all know how much of a crisis that can become just from some things that have happened in the last 10 years or so.

$3.00 gas in 1940 would look like $25.00 gas would look today or possibly even more than that.

Jlarson

I use my 18 volt to trim, for a while (a really short while) I was all about using a regular screw driver or a torque driver but eventually said screw that casue I want to do everything possible to avoid carpal tunnel. The drill settings almost never change either, clutch to 16 (max) and it's always in drill mode anyway, I just work the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.